PDA

View Full Version : My First Year Anniversary as an Enlightened Aquarist, lol

sheamurai
03-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Well, this week marks a full year keeping fish! The title says "Enlightened" becuase I had kept (err, tried to keep) fish years ago but of course had no idea of the nitrogen cycle, so of course fish kept dying. Not being a sadist at heart, I gave it up.
Now, thanks to the 'net and to forums like this one, I have been up and running a year now, with no major upsets, aside from the odd ill-considered stocking buys.
Its been quite a year. Started with 5 guppies in a 10gal tank, outgrew that into a 20gal, then into a 25 gal. Sold the 20gal and brought my 10gal to work. Saw a nice 16 gal bowfront that I thought was nice and bought and stocked that. Outgrew the 25gal and took the jump into a 77gal. Bought a 6 gal betta tank. Big Als had a sale on so I bought a 50gal "showtank". Found another deal on kijiji and bought a 29gal tank (that was sold to me as a 40gal!). Decided that I had too many tanks!
Sold the betta tank, sold the 25 gal, sold the 16gal, emptied the 29gal which is now downstairs empty for a spare.
Which leaves me today with what you see in my signature. What a fun ride it was! The only thing I didn't try that I wanted to was a discus tank - but I knew that was over my commitment level...

Wonder what I will have this time next year?

What was your fish year like?

troy
03-21-2010, 09:23 PM
My past fish year was rather uneventful. I haven't changed anything much besides setting up a tank for red cherry shrimp.

Cliff
03-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Congrats on one year