PDA

View Full Version : My new RCS

Hailey
03-20-2010, 10:33 PM
I got my order today, 8 more RCS, got an extra two in there. And I now have a berried female!!! Thats what I was hopeing for. Green eggs in her too, its pretty neat. Now hopefully I can now have a big colony! I love shrimplettes!

Here are pics of them still in the bag, they just got released now though
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/S6VI3jsymRI/AAAAAAAAB4M/Q9ugDFlhmGo/s800/DSCF4112.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/S6VI2njxa4I/AAAAAAAAB4I/x-2q8TMo3-4/s800/DSCF4109.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/S6VI1pHG91I/AAAAAAAAB4A/Iz9fhIBik84/s800/DSCF4106.JPG

troy
03-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Very cool.thumbs2: I have 2 rcs that I'm hoping will breed.

Hailey
03-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Sweet, Do you know if they are male and female? How long you had them for now?

Sarkazmo
03-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Congrats! I miss my RCS. :( They're easy to sex as the males are much less red than the females. Famales are larger as well. There's also a difference in their carapaces near the legs. Females are curved in this area where males are not.

Sark

EDIT: The colour of the eggs varies a great deal. Some have green, other's orange, and still other's whitish.

ippielb
03-21-2010, 12:31 AM
I wish i could get red cherry shrimp. All i can find here is ghost shrimp. two of my 5 have eggs inside them. Hopefully i can get them to hatch.

Sarkazmo
03-21-2010, 12:43 AM
I've ordered mine only. The LFS here are a waste of time. I got my first batch from a dude on PlantedTank.net and the second batch came from a seller on eBay. Both batches were great with the eBay deal being the best 'deal' with 32 (inc extras) for $25 shipped. The dude on plantedtank.net was I think 25 for $25. Neither batch had DOAs and the shrimp were in great shape, the eBay ones actually had the colour of shrimp that'd just been bagged.

Sark

troy
03-21-2010, 03:54 AM
Sweet, Do you know if they are male and female? How long you had them for now?

I believe I have a male and female because one is larger and a lot more red than the other one. I think I've had them 3 weeks.

Hailey
03-21-2010, 07:18 AM
I believe I have a male and female because one is larger and a lot more red than the other one. I think I've had them 3 weeks.

I must say though, thats what I thought too for a long time, but nothing! Does the female have a yellow saddle, if not its probably a male too, sorry to say.
My males all looked different, ones redder then others, so I waited and waited for them to breed, but nothing.
But yours still could be very young still too.

Sarkazmo
03-21-2010, 08:59 AM
If you're only getting like 2-5 RCS you will have trouble breeding. You need a bigger population to start out with. If the water's clean and warm it's harder to stop them from breeding than anything!

A 'saddle' designates a female that will soon have eggs under her tail. When this happens she releases a scent in the water and nearby males will scramble to get to her to fertilize the eggs. It takes about a month for the babies to leave the tail and become free-swimming miniatures of the adults. If you look close enough you'll see eye spots in the eggs near the end of gestation and this is a sign that they'll be dropped soon. If you want them to breed then you're going to need a larger group.

If you're using an HOB filter you need to put something over the intake so that the babies are sucked up and minced. A lot of us use Aquaclear Filter sponges as intake filters on our HOB filters. They work like a charm, the shrimp will get food off of them, the sponge cuts down on your filter material replacement, and it acts as another place that beneficial bacteria can live. Others use air powered sponge filters for fry and shrimp tanks.

Sark

EDIT: I see in the pics above that Hailey does have an AC sponge on her intake but this is something all shrimp keepers need.

troy
03-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I must say though, thats what I thought too for a long time, but nothing! Does the female have a yellow saddle, if not its probably a male too, sorry to say.
My males all looked different, ones redder then others, so I waited and waited for them to breed, but nothing.
But yours still could be very young still too.
If nothing happens I'll probably get more. I'm pretty sure there juveniles also.

Wild Turkey
03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Congrats!

I see both males and females in the pic. In the second pic, left F right M. Looks like she might also be berried but its hard to tell

Hailey
03-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Congrats!

I see both males and females in the pic. In the second pic, left F right M. Looks like she might also be berried but its hard to tell

Thanks and yes she is berried! I cant wait for the little ones to come, I just hope its soon. I thought I saw eyes on them when I looked with a flashlight, but its hard to tell. And I guess when she gets a saddle comming in again while she has the eggs, she will soon drop.

And ya troy, I also strongly suggest that you should grab some more shrimp if you can. You will have a much greater chance of getting babies. This is now my 3rd batch of shrimp I have gotten, and I see I now finally have gotten at least one female.