PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon stocking

Jlorenzo
03-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Once my 55 is done I am having trouble deciding which way to go with it.
My first thought was to get a senegal bichir and possibly some larger gouramis.
Then I thought a large planted community tank would be cooler and have more options.
I am still torn. Does anybody know any other cool/oddball fish that can be kept with a Senegal Bichir? Any general suggestions? Ideally Id like to do little matinence and still have something cool to look at, I dont want to go stocking crazy as I like my fish to have more than enough room.

annageckos
03-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Most wide bodied fish will be ok with birchirs. Like ruby barbs, tiger barbs, bleeding heart tetras, lemon, serpae, black skirt, emperor tetras. Butterfly fish, gouramis, convict cichlids. I would just stay away from any bottom dwellers or any long skinny fish that are easy to swollow. Keep them well fed and the other fish should be fairly safe. Birchirs really look nice in a planted tank.

SCcten
03-20-2010, 02:47 AM
I like Lepard Ctenopomas, they only get about 6" and have cool looking markings. They are a little agressive but not as much as cichlids so they should not be kept together usually. They also have a unique swimming style and stalk there prey.

i_am_511
03-20-2010, 06:10 AM
I love oddballs and i dont blame you. If you plan to add some live plants and other hiding spots you still could have other bottom dwellers. It is a 55 gallon tank that footprint could have other bottom fish. Peacock Eel would be nice.
Another oddball would be the African Butterfly fish just floats around at the top of the tank. You could get an Elephant Nose fish now thats a real oddball.

Oskar
03-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I'd get 2 or 3 Senegal's,and then add a large school of Green Tiger Barbs.

Or you could try 2 or 3 Sens,and a male Convict,or a T-Bar Cichlid (Cryptoheros sajica).