PDA

View Full Version : truth or fiction? Goldfish eating floating food

Brhino
03-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Normally I think aquariumwiki.com is a pretty good site, but their goldfish article has this little nugget:

When feeding Goldfish pellets or flakes, do not feed it floating on the surface, it must sink before it's safe for the Goldfish to eat it. Gulping air at the same time as it eats the food can result in serious digestive disorders.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Goldfish#Diet (http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Goldfish#Diet)

That's not something I've read ANYWHERE else, and I have a hard time believing it given goldfish's tendency to come up to the surface to "breath" anyhow. Has anyone seen this before?

Lady Hobbs
03-19-2010, 02:26 PM
True of many fish. Pellets do not cause the constipation as much as the flakes, too.

VoidParadigm
03-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Goldfish should not have a normal behaviour of "breathing" at the surface. They do this when their water quality is degrading, leaving very poor amounts of dissolved oxygen in it.

It may look like breathing, but really, they're just looking for floating food that got leftover or bugs. Most adult goldfish can't help but stick part of their head out of the water when they do this, due to just being plain big.

Is true that gulping too much air can cause serious problems long-term.
True for most species besides the Labyrinth organ-ed fish, if I recall correctly.

Easy way to avoid this is to let goldfish feed the way they do naturally. Scrounging for food along the bottom. They are meant to be scavengers and grazers. Veggies sunken down are a delicacy to many goldfish, especially those big commons who haven't had their genes tinkered with.

Rue
03-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Quite true as far as I know! While in the wild they will eat bugs and stuff that are on the surface of the water, they don't eat ALL their food from the surface - and that's what feeding them floating flakes would amount to.

I feed flakes, but I mix it in a bit of tank water first so that it sinks immediately vs. floating...