PDA

View Full Version : ghost shrimp killing my neon tetras

beach guy
03-19-2010, 08:15 AM
I just put ten ghost shrimp into my tank, which also had a school of 15 neon tetras...now every morning im find dead and half eaten tetras...got 5 left now....when i shut off the lights..do the shrimp come out and hunt the fish???...which ive noticed would settle close to the bottom in the dark...:help:

Lady Hobbs
03-19-2010, 11:11 AM
The tetra's are dying by themselves and the shrimp are cleaning them up. The shrimp are not hunting and catching them.

Wild Turkey
03-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Agreed.

How long ago did you add the tetras? Did you cycle the tank?

Sarkazmo
03-19-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm not saying that the Ghosts are hunting the Neons but it IS possible. I've seen VERY aggressive Ghost Shrimp. Ones that would take on a full grown make Betta to nibble on his tail. Another person on AC mentioned seeing a Ghost in his tank that would attack other Ghosts and devour them. Ghost Shrimp are considered 'long arm' shrimp and do have small pincers that they're quite agile with. If the Neons are small and the Ghosts full grown, it could happen. They'll snatch up fry that get close.

Sark

VoidParadigm
03-19-2010, 05:56 PM
There are a LOT of different species of "Ghost" and "Glass" shrimp. Some of these are indeed hunters.

Regardless, they'll eat fish that die anyways.

How big is the tank and did you cycle it? Do you have a test kit?