PDA

View Full Version : Questions about malawi before I buy them

johnicd
05-12-2007, 01:27 AM
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
I am new to cichlids as this is going to be my first attempt at them. I have an endless amount of questions ranging from which filter to what type of Malawi to buy. So might as well start it off.

I have a 50 gallon tank that measures 36"L, 12"W, 24"T.
What do you recomend for a filter that isnt outragously priced. The substrate is another question I have. I would like to use gravel as I already have about 30 pounds of it. But would would you recommend for that. What types of rocks, trees, fake plants do you suggest.
Lights are another question. I am stumped when it comes to them. What types will I need to make these little guys happy.
I plan to get 2 or 3 Powder Blue Cichlids, what would be good tank buddies for these guys. Thanks a hell of alot for dealing with all of these questions and you can gaurantee that I will have more in the future.

Drumachine09
05-12-2007, 01:46 AM
The powder blues (psuedotropheus socolofis) are on of the more docile mbunas. They are still agressive, but less agressive compared to other mbunas. Good tankmates would be yellow labidochromis caeruleus, and/or red zebras.

If agression is a problem, i think peacocks are less agressive.

cocoa_pleco
05-12-2007, 01:53 AM
peacocks are waaaaayyy more peaceful. Mbunas are violent and may go after their own kind even. Peacocks are less of a headache

johnicd
05-12-2007, 01:55 AM
So you think I should go for peacocks instead of the powder blue ones or get the PB ones with a few peacocks as well

cocoa_pleco
05-12-2007, 01:59 AM
just peacocks. saves alot of headaches. Trust me. I should let you take my auratus for a test drive. He will get you off mbunas for life. Hes REALLY cranky all the sudden

johnicd
05-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Haha thanks for the help cocoa. I do like the peacocks. How many do you think I should get so they are happy and would you recommend any other fish or just the peacocks.

cocoa_pleco
05-12-2007, 02:06 AM
there are alot of peacocks to choose from. Google peacock cichlids and pick some that you like and see if they would be good for your tank size.

Ive heard in most cases rainbow fish will work with peacocks

Fishguy2727
05-12-2007, 02:13 AM
The only thing I would put with peacocks is Synodontis spp. native to the rift lakes. Check out my Photobucket in my signature to see some of my peacocks. I would highly suggest peacocks over mbunas. Better colors, better behavior, all around much better.

Fluval 405. It is not the cheapest, but canisters are better than HOBs and this is one of the best canisters out there. I would do sand. It is much more natural, cleaner, and looks much better.

cocoa_pleco
05-12-2007, 03:27 AM
Fluvals are extremely good and are little maintenance. I cant even hear mine run

johnicd
05-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Sounds good. Thanks a bunch for the help.