PDA

View Full Version : Loosing Him?

tori.lock
03-18-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm afraid that I'm loosing my betta, Moose. He's been doing so well, and I haven't had any problems with him until very recently. I've noticed that he was being much lazier than normal, which I assumed was boredom. I started to put a mirror up for him for a few minutes a day, and he'd flare and act normal, so I didn't think much of it. But yesterday I noticed that his laziness is turning into clumsiness. Rather than his usual lazy attitude of just resting on the bottom, I've noticed that he's been tilting on his side, and sitting with his nose down. His gills I've noticed also seem swollen, or enlarged, almost as if he flared and didn't get his beard to go back up in his throat. I am about to leave for spring break and I was planning on leaving him for the week, but now I'm concerned and decided that I will take him with me incase anything happens. I just did a water change yesterday (I did a 50% change, refilled the tank, and then did another 50% change because I was a few days late on it and there was a lot of muck to vacuum up), and I haven't checked the tank parameters, but I will post them later today.

Edit: His color is still very bright.

tori.lock
03-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I think this is really urgent. He's just laying on his side barely breathing now. He'll occasionally dart up to the surface like he's struggling, but then he'll drift down. I don't think he's going to last much longer. Just took parameters, Nitrite is 0, Ammonia was a little above zero so I just did another water change.

tori.lock
03-18-2010, 10:00 PM
He just passed on.

RIP.

annageckos
03-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Sorry to hear that. How long did you have him for? Was he full grown when you got him? He could have been old. The other thing is bettas are so mass produced that their health and lifespan suffers. The conditions he was in before you got him could have played a roll too.

tori.lock
03-18-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm assuming he was full grown. I had him for about seven months or so. It could have been age/poor health in general because I've heard a lot of people having bettas for just a few months in great conditions. Now that I can see him better it looks like he had something caught in his throat. If I end up doing a mini autopsy we'll see. I don't think it could be old age because his color was still so brilliant.

annageckos
03-18-2010, 10:44 PM
My boyfriend had a betta for three or four years. When he died, his colors where just as bold and vibrant as when he was young. Normal livespan for bettas can be anywhere from a year upto five on rare occassions. If he was full grown when you got him you don't know how old he was.