PDA

View Full Version : aquarium crabs

parrotice46
03-18-2010, 01:58 PM
are aquarium crabs supposed to lose their claw and grow new ones?

Spartanhockey89
03-18-2010, 02:19 PM
They molt, but mine have never lost "a" claw, individually. Sounds odd to me. Do you know that exact species of the crab, or common name?

annageckos
03-18-2010, 03:43 PM
What kind of crab is it? The common ones, red and fiddler are both brackish water crabs and need 1/4 - 1/2 land. They are not fully aquatic. Loosing a claw can mean that the crab is stressed or ill. They can loose claws and they do grow back, but they only loose them normally when there is some trama, in a fight or sometime it comes off in a molt. More common when kept in an aquarium is becuase thier needs are not being met. The reds get bigger than the fiddlers but other than tank size thier needs are similar. A 5.5 will house one fiddler, I would do no smaller than a 10 for a red. You need a land/water area. I have used sand/crushed coral mixed. You can make a slop from land to water and use some rocks to help hold the shape. You need to pick up sea salt mix, they need brackish water. Keep a cover on the top, one, to keep humidity up and also so they do not exscape. You want the temp to be high 70's low 80's.

parrotice46
03-24-2010, 04:47 AM
They molt, but mine have never lost "a" claw, individually. Sounds odd to me. Do you know that exact species of the crab, or common name?

Thanks for responding. Im not sure what kind of crab it is. He's lost two. I havent seen him grow another new one yet. There are other fish in the 55 gal tank. Should I attach a plank on the inside to rest out of water?

parrotice46
03-24-2010, 04:50 AM
What kind of crab is it? The common ones, red and fiddler are both brackish water crabs and need 1/4 - 1/2 land. They are not fully aquatic. Loosing a claw can mean that the crab is stressed or ill. They can loose claws and they do grow back, but they only loose them normally when there is some trama, in a fight or sometime it comes off in a molt. More common when kept in an aquarium is becuase thier needs are not being met. The reds get bigger than the fiddlers but other than tank size thier needs are similar. A 5.5 will house one fiddler, I would do no smaller than a 10 for a red. You need a land/water area. I have used sand/crushed coral mixed. You can make a slop from land to water and use some rocks to help hold the shape. You need to pick up sea salt mix, they need brackish water. Keep a cover on the top, one, to keep humidity up and also so they do not exscape. You want the temp to be high 70's low 80's.

Thanks for responding. I think it's a fiddler crab. ((Mr. Crabs) I have other fish in the tank so Im not so sure about salt mix. Its a 55 gal tank. This is the second claw he has lost and not seem him grow a new one yet. Should I maybe put an attached plank to the inside so he can rest out of water? I do keep the temp right. I don't know why he would be stressed. The other fish dont seem to bother him at all. Aslo, Mrs. Crab keeps getting into the filter.

jcarr71
03-24-2010, 06:44 AM
Do you have a way for him to get on land? Do you have brackish water? Brackish water is salty freshwater if you don't know. If no to either of those, that is why he is stressed and is dropping limbs. If no to both, he'll die if the situation isn't fixed.