PDA

View Full Version : Nosey Betta

Zilla
03-18-2010, 11:18 AM
It has been many years since I've owned a Betta so I don't remember if the newest edition is just being a Betta or if he's just being weird. Health wise he's fine, but he's into everything.

Oh, Pennywort! *sniff, sniff, sniff*

Java Moss... *sniff, sniff, sniff*

Wheeeee! Christmas Moss is fun!

Flourite- *crunch, crunch, crunch*

Vals are fun to play in!

Java Fern- Meh!

Heater- Hmmmm...what is this thing with the light that turns on and shuts off?

Is that a finger teasing me on the other side of the glass? FLARE! * I have my son to thank for that who promptly complained about being flared at.*

What is that spec of dirt? Must try to eat it!

I suspect anything else that it put in the tank will get the same treatment. Do all Betta's act this way? LOL

Spartanhockey89
03-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Mine always had to see what was going on, for years. Anytime something was even happening outside the tank, he'd flot in one spot, and watch, even after all the other fish gave up on being fed. Anytime I cleaned the tank, or changed water, he'd be right there, poking at the bucket, or my hand.

annageckos
03-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Fairly noraml for a betta, they are really inquisitive fish. Some more so than others.

Rhaethe
03-18-2010, 08:19 PM
My new pearl gourami, Ari, did much the same thing when introduced to the tank.

I don't think there wasn't a spot left after the first thirty minutes that hadn't been felt up, nosed at, mouthed, or investigated.

I think the anabantids in general are very inquisitive fish that are quite aware of their surroundings. I'm not sure what it was/is in their original environments that would make them so genetically disposed to investigate everything ... but I've seen it in almost every betta and gourami species I've come across personally.

Gus, my dwarf gourami, still finds it exceptionally fascinating to watch the colors and pictures of my laptop screen when it gets setup on my desk near the tank.

Zilla
03-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Alrighty

Yesterday he was playing Hide and Seek under the Christmas Moss.

I caught the series of actions on camera which is pretty funny. In the first frame, he's looking at the moss. The next frame his tail is sticking out and in the last frame, all I can see is the very edges of his tail. LOL

Sarkazmo
03-19-2010, 01:30 PM
I find it to be a crime to not supply Betta with Java Moss (or another soft moss) and/or Hornwort. Betta love to wiggle through it all.

As far as the antics, that's pretty typical. Mine are always watching what I'm doing and investigating anything new on my desk, near their tanks.

BTW, trying to get any work done in the tank with a Betta around can be quite difficult. You have to watch siphons as I accidentally killed one of my Betta with a siphon. :(

Sark

Zilla
03-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

My Gouramis have a thing about syphons as well, but I found a way to use it so they can't get sucked up in it.

I need to get a smaller syphon for the 20 as the one for the 55 is big, but for now ( and when I get the new one) when I do water changes, I'll put my hand over the end so he doesn't end up in the tube.

Zilla
03-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Sark,

You were right about the whole syphon thing. I just finished cleaning the 20 and he was a total pain in the butt when it came to water change time. I did a surface vacuum while I was at it and he chased the syphon everywhere.

He didn't care when I cleaned the glass though. I thought he might come out to atleast check out my hand, but he didn't. He got into his wad of Christmas Moss and stayed there until I was done.

Weirdo...

Sarkazmo
03-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah, try the same thing with THREE female Betta in the tank. One person on here was saying that she had to take out her Bettas out of the tank so she could do anything in the tank.

I can't even plant new plants without being investigated like they work for the government or something!

Sark