PDA

View Full Version : Betta problems!

Tesar
03-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi, I'm new just to get that out of the way!

I have a question regarding my newest betta and his recent behavior changes. Here's some background information about him.

*I've kept him in a bowl and I have made sure that he stays warm and his water is changed weekly
*He had a shell that he would play with that I took out because he started to hide behind it and tear up his fins :(
*From day 1 he wouldn't eat pellets but only freeze dried or frozen blood worms
Here's what's happened to him in the past week

He will float at the top or bury down to the bottom and not move all day
He will not eat anything!
This morning I saw him floating at the top like usual but this time he was on his side, I got very worried and poked him with the back of his net and he started swimming again.

I have a feeling he's not going to last much longer because of his lack of food, should I keep taking care of him or find a way to put him down?

Also... what do I need to change if I am to keep him?

Thanks guys :scry:

Spartanhockey89
03-17-2010, 04:41 PM
First, get him out of the bowl. Bettas are just like any other fish, they like HEATed tanks, not bowls. Unless you have a heater in the bowl, or the temp of the water is maintained at at least 75F. That would help enormously. they do great in a 5 gallon with a filter. As for the floating, i'll defer that to somebody else, but thats usually never good.

Northernguy
03-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Welcome to the AC!
Start by doing a water change.In a bowl its best change the water daily.
If it had a filter the water would not have to be changed as often,once a week would do great.
Make sure you use dechlorinator with the fresh water.
A proper tank set up is best as suggested.

Some Melafix may help but it does sound like the fish is pretty far gone.
I feed my bettas tropical flake food and they do great.

souly
03-17-2010, 09:32 PM
I agree...Betta will live in "bowl" but its not good for them. 5-10g tanks are best. They like heated tropical water at least about 75-78. Try feeding the betta some small smashed peas that have been cooked. He might be constipated which could casue wim blade issues IE floating on the side. But I really think he's on his way out...

I agree with Northen, (as I usually do) change the water daily since its a bowl.

annageckos
03-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Unless you have a heater for the bowl the temps will fluxuate. They need stable temps otherwise they can get sick with many different problems. You also should be changing the water at least 3-4 times a week. What I would do is get a 5.5 gallon tank, a heater and sponge filter/air pump. With this set up the betta will be able to live comfortably. Look him over and make sure he is not getting a fungal infection.

Wild Turkey
03-17-2010, 09:44 PM
+1 waterchanges daily until you cycle the bowl/move him to a cycled tank.

He may be tearing up his fins because of the ammonia, bettas are known to do that when under stress.