PDA

View Full Version : How long do snails last?

kenyth
05-11-2007, 03:34 PM
I just had my ivory mys. snail die. No clue why. No obvious injuries, and he was growing. Perhaps he got himself stuck and drowned? There should have been plenty of food and there was some brown algae and some green algae present. The nitrates in the water were a little higher than normal for a few days because I didn't get to clean it/water change on schedule. Nothing that should have caused problems though. All the fish seem fit.

lmm80
05-11-2007, 03:41 PM
I just had my ivory mys. snail die. No clue why. No obvious injuries, and he was growing. Perhaps he got himself stuck and drowned? There should have been plenty of food and there was some brown algae and some green algae present. The nitrates in the water were a little higher than normal for a few days because I didn't get to clean it/water change on schedule. Nothing that should have caused problems though. All the fish seem fit.

What kind of fish in the tank? Any of them big enough or aggressive enough to take a bite out of him? Also, snails aren't really algae eaters and their diet should be supplemented with veggies.

kenyth
05-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Cories, Tetras, Danios, Platies, Mollies, one Rasbora, and a Betta. I put Green Beans and/or peas in the aquarium once a week for the vegetable needs. The snail was caught once on the filter intake and got it's tentacles bit, but that was a month ago.

YaYgoldFish
05-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Im guessing maybe the tetra..i use to have some that even killed guppies..

cocoa_pleco
05-12-2007, 01:02 AM
danios, platys, or maybe the betta is my guess

gm72
05-13-2007, 03:31 AM
They typically live only a year or two in normal aquarium temperatures. Maybe old age as a suggestion?

kenyth
05-14-2007, 12:50 PM
They typically live only a year or two in normal aquarium temperatures. Maybe old age as a suggestion?

It was a year old, so that's possible.

cocoa_pleco
05-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Thats what happened eventually to my african snail ( the big baseball sized guy ) He naturally died and everyone swarmed his body.