PDA

View Full Version : Salmon red hunger strike

kennedpa
03-15-2010, 10:20 PM
G'day folks,

Its been a while that I havnt been on.... baby duties :-))

Quick question - One of my Salmon Rainbows has gone on a hunger suddenly, I have no idea why as all my other rainbows chomp away in a frenzy...incl the other salmon reds

Thanks in advance

annageckos
03-15-2010, 10:25 PM
We need some info. Like tank size, tank mates and water parameters? How long have you had the fish?

kennedpa
03-15-2010, 10:38 PM
We need some info. Like tank size, tank mates and water parameters? How long have you had the fish?

The tank is 450ltrs, co2 fertilisation and densely planted. Have this particular Salmon for about a year. Tank mates are

2 Other Male reds, and one female
3 male Bosies and 1 female
3 Goyda Rivers
6 Ornimant tetra
6 Rummy Nose
and about 15 varied types of Cories

Water parms

PH 6.99 - 7.3
Temp 27 - 28.5
Nitrate and Nitrite 0
KH 8

Lighting 6 x 40 T8's for 10hrs a day

Salmon swims around happily, no strange marks, bumps, lumps or anything

Zilla
03-16-2010, 01:27 AM
As long as everybody else is okay, I'd just watch the one that went off feed.

I lost one of mine about a week or so ago and before she died, she stopped eating but continued to behave normally. I still have no idea what happened to her as I couldn't find anything physically wrong when I took her out of the tank.

Red
03-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Well I wouldn't just watch, I would try introducing live foods, live brine shrimp and worms. She may even be pregnant.

kennedpa
03-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Well I wouldn't just watch, I would try introducing live foods, live brine shrimp and worms. She may even be pregnant.

They get a variety of foods, flake, granuals, worms, shrimp, mosquito larva weekly.... :sconfused: and she is a He :-)

Red
03-16-2010, 01:54 AM
Hmm you sure hes not just eating after everyone else?

kennedpa
03-16-2010, 02:05 AM
Hmm you sure hes not just eating after everyone else?

Trust me when the frenzy is over there aint nothing left and he is still in the same spot he was before. I have even seen him take food in his mouth then spit it out

kennedpa
03-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Anyone else have any ideas ???:scry:

Still no change in his beahviour

Zilla
03-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Do you have a QT or hospital tank?

I'm not sure if it would do any good, but if you have one maybe taking him out of the general population and try feeding him that way? You haven't said anything about loss of color, so I'm guessing that he doesn't appear to be stressed?

kennedpa
03-29-2010, 05:51 AM
Do you have a QT or hospital tank?

I'm not sure if it would do any good, but if you have one maybe taking him out of the general population and try feeding him that way? You haven't said anything about loss of color, so I'm guessing that he doesn't appear to be stressed?

Yeh I do have QT/plant tank/breeding tank. Was thinking about removing him but worried he might get stressed. His not stressed, his colour is fine and fins are not clamped and doesnt hide. Its got me beat:fish2:

rich311k
03-29-2010, 11:01 AM
If he is active and his color is good, I would just let him be and see what happens. You cant treat for nothing.

kennedpa
03-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Yeh true thats the frustrating part. Last night he started spend more time in the corner alone. The other males playing tag team near him, but he wasnt interested at all.

AquaLene
04-01-2010, 04:03 PM
It does sound like something is wrong with him though, if ever I have a rainbow that is not eating, it is sick. Probably an internal illness as you aren't seeing any signs of external illness. I would suggest trying a 50% - 75% percent water change, and another 40% in about 4 days.

kennedpa
04-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the response but he died o/nite.

Also, I do 40% water changes weekly. I reckon it was def something internal as even last night he still had colour, still breathing rapidly and swimming around now and then.