PDA

View Full Version : oh crap....i really am no good at this fish thing....

Alibog
05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
erm...sorry to be a pain...but do fish float or sink when they die? and do i need to seperate them? and is it natural to cry over a 99p fish?

Lady Hobbs
05-11-2007, 10:55 AM
I always found my dead ones on the bottom of the tank but I suppose they would float if I hadn't removed them right away.

Sometimes reading about fish too much can be more confusing when so much different advice is coming at you at once. Actually keeping fish is quite easy once you get thru the water changes and of course buying the RIGHT fish and keeping your tanks clean. You'll catch on and until then will have lots of help here.

Cycling is probably the biggest pain of all and the hardest to understand at first.

Alibog
05-11-2007, 11:01 AM
well thank you, after searching around i decided to stay and register here on AC....and i guess your right about the advice thing........my heart really is in the pit of my belly...my daughter is going to be devistated when she gets home....i have a sinking fish which is not doing anything at the moment....time i got him out.......but what to do with him?......ah crap.....

Lady Hobbs
05-11-2007, 11:04 AM
These stupid fairs have no business giving away goldfish to start with. They probably sit in bowls in hot water for however long until they hand them out to unsuspecting people. Things haven't progressed much to when fairs handed out painted turtles 40 years ago.

Just wrap him up in a paper towel and put him in the trash or better yet, maybe she'd feel better if she could bury him.

Alibog
05-11-2007, 11:18 AM
The fair one is hardcore! he survived! its the fish we got last week from a store that gave up the ghost, i think we're just going to go with the fair fish for the tome being as it'll be no good untill we get the tank established....but thank you so much for your time!

crackatinny
05-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I have always thought dead fish float, but I am yet to see one, mine always sink.

NEVER just say I am no good at this, read listen and learn, we have all had misshaps in the beginning, same as everything in life:thumb:

cocoa_pleco
05-11-2007, 02:22 PM
well, this is gross, but here goes...

Ive found they float and sink. My tetras, when the die, sink. Recently, my dwarf gourami died for no apparent reason, and his fresh corpse floated and the black shark was chewing on him

crackatinny
05-11-2007, 02:47 PM
well, this is gross, but here goes...

Ive found they float and sink. My tetras, when the die, sink. Recently, my dwarf gourami died for no apparent reason, and his fresh corpse floated and the black shark was chewing on him

I must give you credit cocoa, your posts always have a quite (lost for words here) unexpected ending:ezpi_wink1:

Alibog
05-11-2007, 04:27 PM
I swear there is a whole load to learn!!!esp what kind of things like to eat other things!! thank you so much guys!!!:luxlove:

crackatinny
05-11-2007, 04:44 PM
I understand completely.

Recently we bought 7 new cichlids to put in our new 120G, we had not realized untill they was in there, how big our albino Oscar named Leroy had grown in the week he had been in there, untill on the second day, one of those new cichlids was hanging out of his mouth, the sad part was, we watched this for 3 hrs on and off untill it was gone, OK, the rest was to big, WRONG, second day, he had second helpings, after this, it took me and the wife an hr, one at each end of the tank to rescue and rehome the remaining 5, but we know it is our fault and not his, we can tell by the way he looks at us with those big red eyes, he is such a loveable ole bugger LOL

Alibog
05-11-2007, 04:58 PM
ARGH!! do i want to get into the dark world of loving cannibals!!! hehe...well i guess we all live and learn!

cocoa_pleco
05-11-2007, 09:24 PM
another gross comment. I think the carcass's originally float, but water must seep into the body weighing it down making them sink