PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Shrimp Eggs?

ippielb
03-15-2010, 06:08 PM
I just looked at one of my larger ghost shrimp, and i see in the back end of it, what look like eggs, can someone confirm me on this? They look yellowish, and they're basically looking like eggs.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/eggs.jpg

Sorry for bad quality, i wanted to take a picture of it while it was out and about. You can see the back of the shrimp, it looks really yellow, and there is a bunch of circles inside.

P.S. I gotta scrub right there on my tank! Jeepers i didn't realize it was that bad!

KrytterKrys
03-15-2010, 06:28 PM
yup looks like eggs! :)

korith
03-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Yep those are eggs. In about 3 weeks or so they should hatch. Hard to keep the baby shrimp alive, depending on the type of ghost shrimp it is, most really need a brackish tank with lots of cover in it. Lots of different types of shrimp get lumped into the 'ghost shrimp' name, so hard to tell what kind of water conditions it'll require. Ghost shrimp go through a larval stage and will stay near the top of the tank. More info here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/inv/ghostshrimp.php

ippielb
03-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Think it would be worth it to hatch the eggs? My girlfriends tank could use a couple! I read that inforsia would be good food, and that you can make it by putting straw and hay in water and let it sit in the sun for a couple days, then take an eye dropper or turkey baster and inject into the tank. What size of a tank would i need to keep the fry in? Could i just use a 1 gallon ice cream pail with a sponge filter?

annageckos
03-15-2010, 07:29 PM
They may or may not hatch depending on the species of ghost shrimp. Some need brackish water, some don't. You can try to raise them, I wish you luck.

korith
03-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Think it would be worth it to hatch the eggs? My girlfriends tank could use a couple! I read that inforsia would be good food, and that you can make it by putting straw and hay in water and let it sit in the sun for a couple days, then take an eye dropper or turkey baster and inject into the tank. What size of a tank would i need to keep the fry in? Could i just use a 1 gallon ice cream pail with a sponge filter?

Would be very hard to find/catch the shrimplets. Good luck on finding them once they hatch. When they are in larval form very very small, might look like little specs near the top of the water. Your idea of the ice cream pail could work, can probably get away with just an air stone. Read up on brackish setups too.

If you really want to try breeding/raising shrimp, try red cherry shrimp perhaps. Red cherry shrimp when they hatch the babies are just miniature versions of the adults. Very easy to raise compared to ghost shrimp.

If you have any lfs near you, ghost shrimp are often sold as feeder shrimp, around 10-15 for a $1.

ippielb
03-15-2010, 07:44 PM
i'll give it a try. test my luck. no loss in trying. But a good gain in success! Thanks everyone, when should i take the female out of my main tank? I read when the eggs turn black.

ippielb
03-15-2010, 07:46 PM
I think there's only one in my whole city that i'm near. I'm going to check it out today. I paid 99 cents for these ones.

korith
03-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I think there's only one in my whole city that i'm near. I'm going to check it out today. I paid 99 cents for these ones.

Wow pricy. Red cherry shrimp usually go for a $1 here. May want to see if there is any local fish clubs in your city. You can usually find a few people in every club that has some sort of shrimp. Could also check out plantedtank.net sometimes you can find local hobbyist in their swap shop forum. Or get it shipped to you.

When you move the shrimp to the other container. Fill the pail with water from the fish tank. Sometimes shrimps will drop their eggs prematurely if conditions change too much.

ippielb
03-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Well, i'm guessing that the shrimp aborted the eggs, because i can't find one with eggs inside it anymore. oh well. Kinda was getting excited.

Padams
03-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Doesn't mean it not there. I "lost" all 4 of mine for about 2 weeks. Then all of the sudden they started appearing one at a time. I know of 3 and can tell by sizes but either # 2 or # 3 could be the twin of what was/ is #4. The 1st being the largest and my egg carrier.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt357/PAdams/Fish/IMG_6117JPG2.jpg

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt357/PAdams/Fish/IMG_6125JPG2.jpg

just don't look at the dirty glass :nono:

ippielb
03-18-2010, 05:11 AM
As long as its the outside! Your eggs look alot farther down the line then mine. Mine were still yellowish green, and looked very soft. They did all appear in less then 3 days though, the eggs that is, whats stopping it from doing it again later? Those are very good shots, great job.

Padams
03-18-2010, 11:47 AM
you need the right set up for your breed. this is the 3rd time mine has berried and no lil shrimpies, but they could have and most likely were a good snack for the gourami, danios, or platy

I don't worry about it as imo it just nutrition for their 'mates :18:

ippielb
03-20-2010, 05:17 AM
Well, ain't that a kick in the head, the one with the eggs, still has its eggs, so i guess i still have all five of my ghost shrimp left. I would have thought that my angelfish would have eaten the little one by now. I just recently picked up two 1 gallon hexagon tanks, and an air pump for each, i was wondering if i could use them to breed my ghost shrimp? How do people heat small tanks like this? I found having a lamp at the right distance can heat the tank at the perfect temperature, but at night, i would like to turn the lamp off so that it doesn't catch anything on fire. How do people heat these small aquariums? Or do they ever?

korith
03-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Well, ain't that a kick in the head, the one with the eggs, still has its eggs, so i guess i still have all five of my ghost shrimp left. I would have thought that my angelfish would have eaten the little one by now. I just recently picked up two 1 gallon hexagon tanks, and an air pump for each, i was wondering if i could use them to breed my ghost shrimp? How do people heat small tanks like this? I found having a lamp at the right distance can heat the tank at the perfect temperature, but at night, i would like to turn the lamp off so that it doesn't catch anything on fire. How do people heat these small aquariums? Or do they ever?

For some of my shrimp tanks I just keep them at room temperature. You can get small heaters, hydor has some that are the size of a pack of cards, can find them at petsmart. Though not really cost effective unless you can pick up a cheap one somewhere. 1g is probably a bit too small to be breeding them. They can be hard to raise since ghost shrimp go through a larval stage, can read up on brackish setups since you'll need to do that in order to raise the ghost shrimp. If you really want to breed shrimp would definitely look at red cherry shrimp or other shrimp in the Neocaridina genus, the eggs hatch into mini adults.

ippielb
03-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Well, i have one question, now i have two shrimp with eggs inside them. Why are they all the sudden just wanting to reproduce? Like is there something i did? Could i try to get the shrimp to lay the eggs in the 1 gallon aquarium? And then feed it inforsia or whatever its called?

Here's a picture of my 1 gallon i set up. I have the second one behind it which doesn't have rocks in it yet. Only two to weigh down the tray.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/Onegallon.jpg

korith
03-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Well, i have one question, now i have two shrimp with eggs inside them. Why are they all the sudden just wanting to reproduce? Like is there something i did? Could i try to get the shrimp to lay the eggs in the 1 gallon aquarium? And then feed it inforsia or whatever its called?
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/Onegallon.jpg

Why are they reproducing? well conditions probably just right for them in the tank, water conditions, temp, etc... as well as keeping these conditions stable. Shrimp don't really "lay" their eggs, they release when they are hatching. Infusoria, and other stuff in the water column would work as food. Could use tank water. Plant trimmings as well. Get some aquarium salt as well, to add to the tank.

ippielb
03-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Okay, so, once i see the adult shrimp hatching the eggs could i take her out and put her in the 1 gallon aquarium? Because i have access to infusoria that i don't even need to make, i live in the country, and our ditches are full of water this time of year, and there's alot of decomposition, we also have a creek running through our pasture, which i can things from.

korith
03-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Okay, so, once i see the adult shrimp hatching the eggs could i take her out and put her in the 1 gallon aquarium? Because i have access to infusoria that i don't even need to make, i live in the country, and our ditches are full of water this time of year, and there's alot of decomposition, we also have a creek running through our pasture, which i can things from.

Better off moving the shrimp with the eggs earlier, once they hatch out, there is way you'll find/catch them all.

ippielb
03-22-2010, 01:42 AM
What temperatures would these shrimp survive in? Because i don't feel like buying a small heater for my one gallons, as i spent $5 for both of them, and an air pump. Thanks.

korith
03-22-2010, 07:02 AM
I have several 5g shrimp tanks, I just keep them at room temperature. For a while I had heaters in a few of them but took them out. Would just be too costly to buy that many small heaters and keep them running. Think temp range you want to stay around 65-82F. They'll breed and be a bit more active in the warmer temps, and sort of chill out when it's colder.

I've read posts of other forums of people thinking a tank was empty and just leaving a few inches of water in it with the substrate, and putting the tank away in a dark corner somewhere for a few months, then coming back to find that ghost shrimp had kept breeding in them.

ippielb
03-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Should i have those 1 gallon tanks cycled before i put the shrimp in it? I'm a bit worried i have to. I don't want to put the shrimp in there and then have them die on me when they're having the eggs/larva.

korith
03-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Should i have those 1 gallon tanks cycled before i put the shrimp in it? I'm a bit worried i have to. I don't want to put the shrimp in there and then have them die on me when they're having the eggs/larva.

Would be a good idea to. Take some media out of your other tank and add it into the 1g tank's filter. Also when you initially fill up the 1g tank with water, maybe use the old tank water. The old tank water just so water quality stays the same for the shrimp when you move it. Sometimes shrimp will drop their eggs if too many changes take place.

ippielb
03-30-2010, 02:44 AM
Well, now i have 3 shrimp with eggs inside them. One's eggs are turning darker yellow and the eggs are getting black dots on them. And the other two are still green inside with the eggs. The last picture is the one with the yellowish eggs and the black dots on them. Sorry for quality, they love to swim up and down the side of the tank right in the current of my under gravel filter head, right in the bubbles, so it was difficult to get these.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/P1070124.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/P1070125.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/P1070126.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/P1070127.jpg

Z Fish Man
03-30-2010, 02:57 AM
I doubt they will actually hatch unless you create a brackish water tank for them to breed in, as the eggs need the brackish water conditions to hatch. I believe there might be some species of ghost shrimp that are able to hatch eggs in fresh water though. As someone said if you want to try breeding shrimp you can make a red cherry shrimp tank, but I guess it's worth a shot with the ghosties since you already have a tank.

ippielb
03-30-2010, 03:15 AM
I believe these are american ghost shrimp. The ones that don't need brackish, well that's at least what the label said at the pet store.

Z Fish Man
03-30-2010, 03:22 AM
I believe these are american ghost shrimp. The ones that don't need brackish, well that's at least what the label said at the pet store.

Ah ok well best of luck to you then. keep us updated I haven't really run into anyone who was able to successfully breed them in freshwater.

korith
03-30-2010, 06:07 AM
Once they get into their larval form, you may want to hold off on doing water changes for a while. They will fairly small and hard to avoid sucking up.

Keep posting those updates, will be cool to see if you can raise them to adults.