PDA

View Full Version : questions about upgrading my tank

spookypug
03-15-2010, 05:04 PM
I have a 10 gallon tank and am upgrading to a 15. Not much of a jump, I know, but all I can do right now. I may go to a 20 if I can find a 20 long that's a good deal.
My question is, if I am using the same filter and plants, decorations, even some of the same water do I need to reestablish the tank?
Thanks.

rich311k
03-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Move evrything and you will be good. Try for the 20 long it is a great size tank.

spookypug
03-15-2010, 05:55 PM
thanks! I can't seem to find the 20L still looking though!

xasuma
03-15-2010, 10:22 PM
i ve seen it at animart in my LFS, maybe you can too :22:

spookypug
03-16-2010, 01:34 AM
I found one at a local shop $79.99 20 gallon long with a hood light. I am so excited! A little nervous though about transferring everyone over to it. I may wait a few days until my oranda gets used to the one he's in. I bought him two days ago after the little guy in my photo passed away pretty suddenly.

spookypug
03-16-2010, 11:31 PM
I have a 10 gallon and just bought a 20 gallon long. I have a small fancy goldfish ( 2 inch) an Oranda ( 4 inch) and an algae cleaning fish. I know the 20 still isn't optimal for the fish but it's double what I have and all I can swing right now. I purchased a new 20-30 bio wheel filter for the tank and currently have a filter that was made for a 10 gallon.

My big question is how do I upgrade the filter without destroying the perfectly balanced environment I have created in the smaller tank?

How do I make the transition as easy as possible on the fish?

I am putting the water, gravel, decor, plants, air stone, right into the new tank from the old. Then I add new water. Do I set up both filters for awhile? Is that too much?

The oranda has only been with me for three days in the tank. Should I wait a few more days? Is going from the aquarium shop to me to a bigger tank too much for a span of a few days?

I am very fond of all the fish, but the Oranda it's bordering on obsession and I am really nervous about moving him.
I am attaching a photo of the new guy, look at his face!! I am in love. He looks like a pug dog... so crazy.

thanks!

VoidParadigm
03-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Run both filters at once. The bacteria will transfer and spread out into the new filter, and after a month you can remove the original, which will only result in a mini-cycle instead of a full on new one.

Alternatively, just stuff the old filter's media into the new filter, and presto, you're done.

You can never have too much filtration. The only way to do that is if the output is too strong for the fish to swim in, which you'll notice immediately.

Just set the fish in a bucket while you're moving things around, then acclimate them to the new tank.

Goldfish are very hardy. So long as there's places to hide in the new tank the Oranda shouldn't have too much problem with yet another move.