PDA

View Full Version : Experience with jellyfish

Jelly
03-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Is there anyone here who has some experience with jellyfish, specifically the moon jelly, Aurelia aurita?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-15-2010, 10:41 AM
You are likely going to have a very hard time finding anyone with experience with these, and for good reason. Moon Jellies belong in the ocean, not in home tanks. Jellies are very very hard to keep and feed. Furthermore, you really need a round tank as it is very easy for them to get stuck in corners. Everything I've ever read on these says the same thing, and that is that they are not suitable for the home aquarium. Sorry.

Jelly
03-15-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't want to have an aquarium with jelly's in it, I'm only looking for someone who does have them and how they take care of them. I'm doing research on jellyfish diseases and therefore I was wondering what problems people have with their jelly's, maybe even find people who have jelly's with eversion syndome.

tanks4thememories
03-15-2010, 12:09 PM
http://www.lafishguys.com/

LA Fish Guys is a division of the

www.resplendent.biz

Thousand Oaks, Calif. 91360

tele- 805-241-7140, fax- 805-241-7150

e-mail - jim@aquarium-design.com

Jelly
03-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks :ssmile: I will certainly email him. However I'm still looking for people who are just keeping jelly's, like people would keep fish, just for fun. I'm thinking that the jellyfish diseases I'm finding could very well be related to what they eat. I figured that people who keep them at home probably spend a lot of time and attention to them and really try to keep them healthy and beautiful. Therefore they might not experience the same illnesses I'm seeing in the jellyfish.
Does anyone know someone who keeps jelly's for fun?

annageckos
03-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Like SW Addict said, you are not going to find many people that have kept or do keep jellies. Maybe contact an aquarium or zoo. But not many people keep them, being they have highly specialized needs.

Jelly
03-15-2010, 07:25 PM
I realize that, but I know what an aquarium or zoo does, and I want to compare that to what people at home do. So I'm just asking. It's ok if I don't find anyone but I can try. Thanks for the quick responses though.

WoadCelt
03-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Good luck with your research - it sounds very interesting and I do hope you manage to find people out there that are keeping jellies. :ssmile:

Jelly
03-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Thx :ssmile:

tanks4thememories
03-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks :ssmile: I will certainly email him. However I'm still looking for people who are just keeping jelly's, like people would keep fish, just for fun. I'm thinking that the jellyfish diseases I'm finding could very well be related to what they eat. I figured that people who keep them at home probably spend a lot of time and attention to them and really try to keep them healthy and beautiful. Therefore they might not experience the same illnesses I'm seeing in the jellyfish.
Does anyone know someone who keeps jelly's for fun?

Yup I know what you are looking for. LAfish guys sets up aquariums for home users. He also breeds his own polyps of at least 2 different species that I know of. He does the special tank setups and everything. In fact to be honest he has made me want to try a tank. Not till after I get back into the SW swing though and have a few SW up and running.

Jelly
03-20-2010, 04:25 PM
When you do, let me know :D

Amazon
03-20-2010, 05:01 PM
I dont keep them right now but I do know a lot about how to keep them. I was gonna set up a tank for them.
I can possibly answer some of your q's. They also eat phytoplankton.

Jelly
03-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Great :D Well here are (some) of my questions..

I was wondering if your jellyfish had diseases. Did you have jelly's with bell disfigurements such as an inverted bell, or a closing of the bell? And I would like to know the exact feeding regime you had them on.
How long did your jelly's live, and, if they had disfigurements, at what point in their development did you first see it? Have you changed the feeding during the time you had them, or have you kept them on a single diet? What was the tank you used, and do you have any idea what the rotation speed of the water was in your tank? Did you have natural or artificial seawater?

... :mrgreen:

Thanks thumbs2:

wolf_eyes
03-23-2010, 11:37 PM
I would suggest finding a forum that is saltwater only. This one is a little more geared towards freshwater so it's going to be harder to find someone who has experience with such a difficult species. You will have a higher chance of finding someone with experience on a saltwater forum, preferably a big one. I'm sure some people on here could offer you some helpful forums if you ask.

HorrorShowRot
03-30-2010, 09:36 PM
As for diseases my buddys died about a month later. He had to hand feed it with tongs. And there was next to no current hell it was such a bad idea because the jelly would get stuck in the corner. I am pretty sure his jelly starved to death..

KnightOIce
05-21-2010, 06:48 AM
My friend said it's better to have rounded tanks or else they get stuck in the corners

SunSchein89
05-21-2010, 07:27 AM
My friend said it's better to have rounded tanks or else they get stuck in the corners

You bumped a two month old post with the same advice given on the first reply :spam:

Check your dates and read the thread when posting please thumbs2: .

KnightOIce
05-23-2010, 07:51 AM
You bumped a two month old post with the same advice given on the first reply :spam:

Check your dates and read the thread when posting please thumbs2: .
Sorry D:

I'm used to being on a really active forum where the last post on the first page was five minutes ago.