PDA

View Full Version : My Bettas won't eat!

Bettalovahgirl
03-15-2010, 02:31 AM
My bettas won't eat! I have two females, one about an inch long and the other about 3/4 of an inch. I have had them for two days and the small one only 2 days, they're in a 2 and a 1/2 gallon aquarium, and I'm feeding them Aqueon Betta Food. I conditioned the water and washed the tank and decor, but not with soap! What's wrong with them? :scry:

annageckos
03-15-2010, 02:36 AM
I know that female bettas are small, but IMO a 2 1/2 is too small for the two of them. Females can be just as aggressive as the males, so it is best to have one or five or more. One would be fine in your current tank, otherwise I would go with a ten gallon. I keep about 12 females and one male in a 55, heavily planted. Is your tank cycled? What is the temp? Do you have a filter? How long has it been set up?

Bettalovahgirl
03-15-2010, 02:40 AM
I know that female bettas are small, but IMO a 2 1/2 is too small for the two of them. Females can be just as aggressive as the males, so it is best to have one or five or more. One would be fine in your current tank, otherwise I would go with a ten gallon. I keep about 12 females and one male in a 55, heavily planted. Is your tank cycled? What is the temp? Do you have a filter? How long has it been set up?

Um...A ten-gallon tank is too big, according to my mom...I have no earthly idea what cycling is, I can't keep the temperature consistent (parents won't take my to buy a heater. Grrr...But about...65-70 degrees)...No filter...2 days. Am I a horrible betta parent?

annageckos
03-15-2010, 02:53 AM
Um...A ten-gallon tank is too big, according to my mom...I have no earthly idea what cycling is, I can't keep the temperature consistent (parents won't take my to buy a heater. Grrr...But about...65-70 degrees)...No filter...2 days. Am I a horrible betta parent?

You do not have the proper home for your fish, your best bet would be to return them. Bettas are tropical fish, they need a stable temp around 78F. They also should have a filter, a sponge filter is fine, that is what I use on my small tanks. I can't see your fish living long in the current conditions. Your tank is not cycled. Cycling is when you build up good bacteria in your filter media. This benefital bacteria (BB) turns the ammonia (toxic to fish) that the fish produce into nitrite (also toxic to fish). Then a different BB turns the nitrite into nitrate, which is less toxic. You remove the nitrate through water changes. If you can not get a bigger tank, or a heater or filter return the fish, it is best for them. If you can get a heater and filter, but not a bigger tank, return one of the fish.

Bettalovahgirl
03-15-2010, 02:58 AM
You do not have the proper home for your fish, your best bet would be to return them. Bettas are tropical fish, they need a stable temp around 78F. They also should have a filter, a sponge filter is fine, that is what I use on my small tanks. I can't see your fish living long in the current conditions. Your tank is not cycled. Cycling is when you build up good bacteria in your filter media. This benefital bacteria (BB) turns the ammonia (toxic to fish) that the fish produce into nitrite (also toxic to fish). Then a different BB turns the nitrite into nitrate, which is less toxic. You remove the nitrate through water changes. If you can not get a bigger tank, or a heater or filter return the fish, it is best for them. If you can get a heater and filter, but not a bigger tank, return one of the fish.
I'll get the heater and filter and and stuff tommorow, too late to do so now. What is the minimum space I can keep my two little sweeties in comfortably?

annageckos
03-15-2010, 03:05 AM
A ten gallon. Female bettas can be just as aggressive with eachother as the males. With just the two the dominate one will pick on and stress the submissive one. Chances are the submissive one will get stressed, hide, not eat and die. Maybe it won't, if they are calmer than most. In a ten with lots of caves, rocks, wood, decor you could get five or so and it will help to spread the aggression out so that one fish does not get picked on all the time. You need to remember that bettas are territorial fish and need thier space.

Bettalovahgirl
03-15-2010, 03:11 AM
A ten gallon. Female bettas can be just as aggressive with eachother as the males. With just the two the dominate one will pick on and stress the submissive one. Chances are the submissive one will get stressed, hide, not eat and die. Maybe it won't, if they are calmer than most. In a ten with lots of caves, rocks, wood, decor you could get five or so and it will help to spread the aggression out so that one fish does not get picked on all the time. You need to remember that bettas are territorial fish and need thier space.
I'll have to look up the size as an image...Sadness fills me, for I would hate to give them back and let them live in little cups until a child grabs one, shaking it, saying, "Mommy! This one! This one!" And the mother buys it and the child taps on the glass and overfeeds it and hardly ever cleans its tank and...and...I'll get them their own rice field if nessecary...

annageckos
03-15-2010, 03:53 AM
Do you mean the dimensions of a ten gallon? They are 20x10x12 inches.

Bettalovahgirl
03-15-2010, 04:58 AM
Do you mean the dimensions of a ten gallon? They are 20x10x12 inches.
Oh. I thought it was one of those tanks that people can fit into. How many bettas can be in a ten-gallon tank at one time?

Wild Turkey
03-15-2010, 05:07 AM
I wouldnt exceed 3 females in a ten gallon and I would see how the pair does first.

Female betta communities are a popular tank, usually females are okay with each other in an appropriate size tank. Bettas just have distinct personalities and some are plain old mean little buggers, male or female.

korith
03-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Female bettas you can put together, but whether or not they get along really depends on their personalities. If you put 2 males in the tank with each other, one will probably end up dead. If you put a male and female together in a small tank, the outlook isn't so great either.

There is a lot of misinformation out there on bettas, especially concerning the size of the tank they require. Sure a betta can survive in a small betta cup, but it won't thrive. Sort of a quality of life issue. They will get more active in a larger tank, 10g would be nice. That would give you some room to decorate the tank as well.

Bettalovahgirl
03-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Okay, Thanks for the advice everybody! I'll get a heater, filter, and bigger tank today!thumbs2:

GouramiFan87
03-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I wouldnt exceed 3 females in a ten gallon and I would see how the pair does first.

Female betta communities are a popular tank, usually females are okay with each other in an appropriate size tank. Bettas just have distinct personalities and some are plain old mean little buggers, male or female.

I echo what my good friend Wild Turkey said, however, Bettas are best left to themselves. Now if you had, say a 55 gallon community tank you could put in about 4 female bettas, just make sure there are plenty of hiding spaces and plants to black the view from each other. If not, they will have an all out cat fight for dominance. Once the dominant female is "chosen," things should settle down, but small skirmishes may still erupt. A 10 gallon is way too small for 2 female bettas. Bettas have beautiful flowing fins (even the females) and it just begs other fish to try to "eat them." I can't think of any peaceful non fin-nipping fish that would go with a betta in a tank that small. What if you did a 5 gallon tank with one female betta and one snail or something? 5 gallons are not that expensive at all and are the perfect size for a betta.

Bottom Line: Bettas are best alone. They don't like being with other fish, generally. They are much happier with a huge territory they can claim for themselves. It's like they can say "THIS TANK IS MINE AND ALL MINE I DON'T HAVE TO SHARE IT WITH ANYONE!" Trust me, I've been down this road many times. Your 2 and 1/2 gallon tank would be fine for one female betta, just not two. They sell heaters for about 15 dollars at Walmart (I work there so I know the prices lol) that are self-adjusting between 76-78 degrees, which is perfect for the betta. Although bettas don't require aeration (air bubble makers), I would still recommend getting one as keeping the airflow restricted somewhat by tying the airline hose in a small, loose knot about halfway coming from the air pump. You'll need an airstone to disperse the bubbles. Feel free to ask anyone questions you can think of, that's what we're here for. =) It's also very important to make sure you have a good filter. A betta doesn't need anything super expensive, at Walmart we sell a filter for 5-15 gallon tanks for about 10 dollars, and a whispier filter (higher quality) for a 2.5 gallon tank for 11 dollars. The good thing about the whisper is that the filter is driven by air power, which means you won't need to buy a separate air pump for aeration. Make sense? I know it seems complicated by just research research and do more research.

Pele
03-24-2010, 10:41 PM
I agree basically with what everyone else has said. But back onto food, I would say get some Hikari betta bio gold foos if you can, and feed them some cooked pea every once an a while. For additional help, see the e-book on the left

troy
03-25-2010, 12:54 AM
I echo what my good friend Wild Turkey said, however, Bettas are best left to themselves. Now if you had, say a 55 gallon community tank you could put in about 4 female bettas, just make sure there are plenty of hiding spaces and plants to black the view from each other. If not, they will have an all out cat fight for dominance. Once the dominant female is "chosen," things should settle down, but small skirmishes may still erupt. A 10 gallon is way too small for 2 female bettas. Bettas have beautiful flowing fins (even the females) and it just begs other fish to try to "eat them." I can't think of any peaceful non fin-nipping fish that would go with a betta in a tank that small. What if you did a 5 gallon tank with one female betta and one snail or something? 5 gallons are not that expensive at all and are the perfect size for a betta.

Bottom Line: Bettas are best alone. They don't like being with other fish, generally. They are much happier with a huge territory they can claim for themselves. It's like they can say "THIS TANK IS MINE AND ALL MINE I DON'T HAVE TO SHARE IT WITH ANYONE!" Trust me, I've been down this road many times. Your 2 and 1/2 gallon tank would be fine for one female betta, just not two. They sell heaters for about 15 dollars at Walmart (I work there so I know the prices lol) that are self-adjusting between 76-78 degrees, which is perfect for the betta. Although bettas don't require aeration (air bubble makers), I would still recommend getting one as keeping the airflow restricted somewhat by tying the airline hose in a small, loose knot about halfway coming from the air pump. You'll need an airstone to disperse the bubbles. Feel free to ask anyone questions you can think of, that's what we're here for. =) It's also very important to make sure you have a good filter. A betta doesn't need anything super expensive, at Walmart we sell a filter for 5-15 gallon tanks for about 10 dollars, and a whispier filter (higher quality) for a 2.5 gallon tank for 11 dollars. The good thing about the whisper is that the filter is driven by air power, which means you won't need to buy a separate air pump for aeration. Make sense? I know it seems complicated by just research research and do more research.

There are plenty of peaceful species that can be put in a 10g with a betta. I have no problem with that in my 10g community tank that has a betta in it. It all depends on the betta's personality on whether or not they can be kept with other fish.

MrRobarto
03-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Well enough advice has been given here but just to chuck my 2 cents in. I used to have a betta and when the tank got too cold it didnt eat so yep definately the temp of the water.

Zilla
03-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Mine is in a heated / filtered 20 gallon. He's in there solo unless plants count and he's very content to be that way. He's also very nosey. LOL I was checking on him yesterday as he was lounging on the bottom and not in his moss mess and when I got close enough, I could see his eyes moving so he could see what I was doing. Weird fish!

Anywho, I tried the Hikari Betta pellets and he refused to eat them even though the dude at the store told me that they eat them all the time. So, since I know Betta's can be stubborn when it comes to food, I started giving him frozen brine shrimp, blood worms and chopped veggies which is what I feed the brats in my 55 and I haven't had any food issues since.

When I thaw out frozen cubes for the 55, I use a syringe ( without the needle as I don't need that part) to syphon food from the bottom of the cup and put it in the tank that way. By doing it this way I have control over how much goes in and there is little if anything left over when he's done.

If I put pellets in there, they become bloated with water then make a mess as he uses them as play things instead of eating them. He's a spoiled brat, but that's alright even if he is a weirdo.