PDA

View Full Version : goldfish feeding

newguy
05-11-2007, 02:55 AM
I'm planning to go out of town for 5 days. If my goldfish aren't fed during this time, will it be a problem? I have heard that goldfish rarely die of starvation and they can go for a while without food, but I'm wondering if not feeding them for several days will adversely affect their health.

cocoa_pleco
05-11-2007, 02:57 AM
Not at all. fish can go without food for 1 month. if anything, the 5 days with no food is good for them. it clears their system, though goldfish dont really have one since they have small intestines and the food flies right thru them.

They'll be fine

newguy
05-19-2007, 08:20 PM
I came back from my trip and they were fine. So far, I have been feeding them only TetraFin goldfish flakes. This particular brand of flake food was recommended by the pet shop. Should I be feeding them other things too for optimal health?

Incredulous_Ed
05-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes, you should! Try feeding a variety of food including goldfish crumbles and smashed peas. Fish get tired of the same food day in and day out.

newguy
05-19-2007, 09:29 PM
My aquarium kit came with a small can of Wardley Total Tropical Gourmet Flake Blend. Can I feed this to my goldfish too? I have heard that goldfish have different dietary requirements than tropical fish. Also, if I decide to feed vegetables to my fish, I assume that I should wash the vegetables first. Is it ok to do this with tap water?

Rue
05-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Yes...the little bit of chlorine that might be on the veggies after you rinse them won't be enough to hurt anything...

...it doesn't matter what kind of flakes you feed them...but wet the flakes first so they don't float...less chance of the fish getting bloat that way...

...I also feed some frozen food...they love brine shrimp...but apparently mysis shrimp are more nutritious...mosquito larvae are also good...that's a mainstay of what they'd be eating in the wild...

krzesinskag
05-20-2007, 12:14 AM
If you really are worried about your fish being fed while your away you can now get holiday feeding blocks which brake down slowly and relese little bits of food for your fish. But as has been said 5 days without food is nothing to worry about, well for goldfish anyway :)

Drumachine09
05-20-2007, 02:08 AM
...it doesn't matter what kind of flakes you feed them...but wet the flakes first so they don't float...less chance of the fish getting bloat that way...

You are thinking of swimbladder disease. Bloat is essentialy constipation.

I still laugh every time when i see "... ..." around your posts too! lol

Rue
05-20-2007, 02:36 AM
Yes! Good catch! I goofed! :help: I think it's old age...

Drumachine09
05-20-2007, 02:38 AM
\I think it's old age...

Impossible!

Rue
05-20-2007, 02:51 AM
...I wish!...

...however, I met the wife of one of hubby's coworkers today...very nice woman...roughly my age...

...heh...I look WAY younger...

...heh heh heh...

Incredulous_Ed
05-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Sometimes people boil the veggies before they give it to theit fish so they are easier to chew.

newguy
05-21-2007, 04:51 PM
What about pesticides? Does rinsing and/or boiling the vegetables get rid of these chemicals?

Rue
05-21-2007, 05:29 PM
...rinsing well in cold water should be enough...crop pesticides are all water soluble...

...good question about the boiling though...probably would breakdown some pesticides...

...regardless...you don't boil the veggies...you only blanch them...

...ie. dip them into boiling water for a couple of seconds to soften them...or use the microwave...don't actually boil!

cocoa_pleco
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
yep, like rue said, blanch them for about 10-15 seconds.

Incredulous_Ed
05-23-2007, 05:58 PM
oh, that's what I meant, sorry.