PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Barbs

ippielb
03-13-2010, 04:20 AM
So, today my girlfriend got 6 young Cherry Barbs, 3 male, and 3 female, for her 10 gallon aquarium. It has one live plant, a bubbler, rather large piece of drift wood, and a filter with enough filtration for a 20 gallon, can't remember the exact name. Tank parimiters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, and faintest amount of nitrite, (just did water change before putting fish in). I helped her get the fish going in the tank, put the bag in the tank to let the water temperatures even out, started to add tank water little by little. And let the fish out. They're very amazed by their new home it looks like, swimming in circles around it for at least an hour(then i left). I just have a few questions about it.

A. How do you think they will do in the tank?(will get pictures tomorrow)
B. Is the male to female ratio too even?
C. Is there too many in the 10 gallon?
D. Do cherry barbs breed easily? (we were planning on trying to breed them)

I don't want any of the fish to die, i don't want her to be discouraged about having fish again. She was pretty upset after her Paradise Gourami died, and didn't have fish for 6 months after that. But i convinced her to get her tank up and running two months ago, without fish. So it's been without fish for 2 months. Fully cycled. What can i do to give the fish a better chance at surviving?

Thanks for reading!

james20
03-13-2010, 04:18 PM
So, today my girlfriend got 6 young Cherry Barbs, 3 male, and 3 female, for her 10 gallon aquarium. It has one live plant, a bubbler, rather large piece of drift wood, and a filter with enough filtration for a 20 gallon, can't remember the exact name. Tank parimiters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, and faintest amount of nitrite, (just did water change before putting fish in). I helped her get the fish going in the tank, put the bag in the tank to let the water temperatures even out, started to add tank water little by little. And let the fish out. They're very amazed by their new home it looks like, swimming in circles around it for at least an hour(then i left). I just have a few questions about it.

I think they will do well.
I think so, I think there should be 4 females and 2 males. Or all one sex.
No, that's a perfect amount. If you have a good filter, I'd say you could even put 3 guppies in, or 2 more barbs.
Don't know much about breeding, so I'm not the one for that Q

I don't want any of the fish to die, i don't want her to be discouraged about having fish again. She was pretty upset after her Paradise Gourami died, and didn't have fish for 6 months after that. But i convinced her to get her tank up and running two months ago, without fish. So it's been without fish for 2 months. Fully cycled. What can i do to give the fish a better chance at surviving?

Thanks for reading!

So yea, That should be good.

annageckos
03-13-2010, 04:26 PM
The ratio should not be a problem, maybe add two more females. If she wants to breed them do not add another types of fish. Breeding is usually best done in a species only tank. Make sure to have a tank for the eggs/fry because the fish will eat the eggs.

travie
03-13-2010, 06:35 PM

A. They should be fine.
B. I've been told a 1:1 ratio is preferred when trying to breed them.
C. Its close to being too many in a 10g, just because they like to chase each other a lot.
D. They can be bred pretty easy. You need to feed them a high quality food, preferably live food; it would be wise to acquire a plant like java moss for the eggs to fall into, so they eggs won't be eaten.

ippielb
03-14-2010, 02:26 AM
Thanks everyone, i forgot to get a picture, but the tank looks so good with those cherry barbs in there. They all seem to be doing well. There is one that's being a little sluggish, but i think it's just still getting use to the new home.

smaug
03-14-2010, 02:31 AM
How did you cycel this tank?If you have trites now,even a small amount then you are in for a cycle to start with a vengance now that there are new fish.

ippielb
03-14-2010, 02:39 AM
Fishless cycle, and should she start doing daily water changes?

smaug
03-14-2010, 02:41 AM
Fishless cycle, and should she start doing daily water changes?
Most certainly.That trite reading should not be there and is a sign that it is not cycled at all.

ippielb
03-14-2010, 02:44 AM
I did daily checks on it. And it read that it cycled. But i will definately get her to daily water change. Just to be safe, hopefully everything turns out well.

Thanks for the responses, appreciate the help you give.

smaug
03-14-2010, 02:46 AM
What type test kit do you use?

ippielb
03-14-2010, 04:22 AM
Nutrafin Mini Master luquid tests.

dr_jefferson
03-14-2010, 10:53 AM
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/1807/eek.gif (http://bcyouthweek.com/gallery/g/4e6baa9b.html) Wow thats really interesting. Thnx for sharing.