PDA

View Full Version : Ghost shrimp and Goldfish

kookla
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
I currently have only one telescope goldfish and in FW tank is having some issues either with hydra or algae, I want to try to use some Algaefix but the directions say it's not good for shrimp, crabs, etc.

Can I move my ghost shrimp into the goldfish tank while I'm treating the other one? The information on this site says they can be in 65-80 degree water and my goldfish is in about 60-65 degree water at night (lowest peak). Would this be ok? Would the goldfish eat or bully the shrimp (one is rather small, the other is carrying eggs)?

rich311k
03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
If they will fit in your goldfish's mouth they will be eaten.

kookla
03-10-2010, 08:25 PM
damn. Alright. Thanks. I have a small, about 1.2 gal bowl, would my shrimp be ok in that temporarily? Anyone know?

Wild Turkey
03-10-2010, 08:41 PM
damn. Alright. Thanks. I have a small, about 1.2 gal bowl, would my shrimp be ok in that temporarily? Anyone know?

They will be fine in a small tank temporarily imo but more important is that you take the filter with them or at least the media. Shrimp are very sensitive to mini cycles. There are a lot of ways to fix algae and something like algae fix would be a last resort imo, I would try running the light less first.

What algae type?

kookla
03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
I noticed some green algae, just the basics, I don't want it to get worse, I did a water change yesterday, and lowered by lighting to 7.5 hours daily. I cleaned it out, so far so good, but I just want to be prepared.

Or from my other threat it could be hair algae. my issue is that my tank is small (5.5 gal) so I can't really get algae eating fish, and the amano algae eating shrimp are my next option. Would those work ok with my ghost shrimp?

rich311k
03-10-2010, 09:26 PM
The shrimps will do fine together.

kookla
03-10-2010, 09:30 PM
thanks, I always seem to worry about making sure everyone is getting along. Like mother goose or something :)

Wild Turkey
03-10-2010, 09:42 PM
There are a lot of shrimp compatibility charts out there if you look around. A good one is at planetinverts.com

Amano shrimp wont eat hair algae, but I think we determined it was hydra anyway so you should be good. In time, your plants may starve the algae of nutrients as they get established.

kookla
03-10-2010, 09:46 PM
that's what I'm hoping for. should I still use seachem flourish for my plants? Or should I cut that down. Right now I'm using it twice a week, once a week wasn't enough and the leaves started to decompose.

Wild Turkey
03-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Did doubling up the dosing help with the leaves? If so I would probably keep at it and see what happens as the plants continue to improve.

kookla
03-10-2010, 09:53 PM
it helped a little. new leaves started to form, but I believe i may need to purchase the Flourish Iron to help a little more. I'll give it a month to see if the new leaves are stunted in any way.