PDA

View Full Version : Is 3.5 g too small for betta?

debbie51975
03-10-2010, 03:45 PM
I moved our guppies (they were bredding like crazy), to a larger tank. That left a 3.5gal, open. I put one of our bettas in there "Larry", we basically switched. I just didn't feel 3.5 g was enough room for the guppy fry. Do you think 3.5 g is enough for a betta? Or should I bite the bullet and go get another 10g? I want the little guy to actually enjoy his life, but if he's ok in 3,5, I'll leave him there. It has a light and a filter.

rich311k
03-10-2010, 03:57 PM
It would be an Ok home. Be sure you have a heater as well. I think they become better fish in a 5 or 10 but a 3.5 would be ok for him.

MCHRKiller
03-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Im with Rich, a 3.5G is a liveable space for a betta...but optimally they will prefer at the very least a 5G tank.

VoidParadigm
03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Approx. 3 gallons is the minimum. So it's not the worst home, but as you're already aware of, it's not the best. So long as you can provide non-buffeting filtration and good heating the little guy will be happy in there for now.

Wild Turkey
03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Thats ok in my book. He would probably appreciate a small heater though, bettas like it around 80F

debbie51975
03-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks all:) I may have to just run out and get a 10g soon. I say 10 not 5 only because the LFS is selling 10g glass tanks (no accessories included) for 9.99. Not too bad. I could probably get a usable 10g filter for under 20.00. I just can't do it today. I had it the other way around. Guppy's 3.5 & betta 10g, but after those two teeny tiny guppies started breeding...it was a mad house! It was my 5 yr olds tank, still is, only now his betta is in there instead.

Although I do have another 10g aquarium, but a hamster lived in it for 2 yrs, I don't know if it would even hold water anymore. Glass, meant for fish, but hamsters can be chewers..

souly
03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I'd say go witht he 10 if you're able to. Lots of space, my new beta swims alll over the darn thing.

evilstench
03-11-2010, 12:19 AM
my betta has been on his own in a small tank (see sig) for a while now because he cant behave himself in the community tank.
He seems perfectly happy, he has a stone and a couple of plants to sit on, but the bigger the better I suppose!

debbie51975
03-11-2010, 12:27 AM
To give you an idea of his current dwelling....

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac161/thecatinthehatsemail/bettaboy.jpg

You think this would be ok for about a week? I know that if they're not happy, their color can fade etc.... But dh isn't wanting to go to LFS till next Tuesday now, so for the time being, this is it...I can't put him in my community tank, I already have a betta in there. 10 g now holding guppies, 50g is broke down and stand being built, other 10g has a hamster, 20g has a gecko...LOL I got a lotta critters! And then there's this one & another 10g has a blue betta in it.....I know that these guys can't be with each other, but I can't stop getting them! The colors are amazing. So I get them KNOWING full well, I'll be running to the store for another home! Why do I do this? I swear, if I could have a tank the size of my living room.....omg....the fun I would have!

debbie51975
03-11-2010, 12:28 AM
PS: Don't laugh at the crazy gravel colors....the 5 year old insisted! I couldn't win, cuz it's his tank....poor fish! LOL

aelwero
03-12-2010, 11:29 AM
I have one of those, we use it to isolate sick fish (or used to, haven't had a sick one in forever it seems like). A betta can live in it indefinitely, but it is definitely too small. the betta we tried in it didn't move much, hid in a small piece of log and only came out when we fed him. He's currently in a 5g by himself and swims around pretty much nonstop, so I'd say they're not comfortable in those 1.5g tanks.

As far as the colors go, I wouldn't worry about it too much. To each his own, and if it gets your kids to start taking responsibility for the fish then it's doing them a service. I have girls, so I end up with pink and purple anytime I let a kid lay claim to a tank ;)

debbie51975
03-12-2010, 08:03 PM
LOL...pink & purple....my daughters favorite too:) Well, I;m gonna do it and splurge on Tuesday for a better home for him. I'm thinking there's no such thing as too many tanks:18: I found a decent one the other day, just got to wait till Tues.

HeatherB
03-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Since you have a 10 with a betta already, you could purchase a tank divider and split it up into 2 5 gallon sides.

But then again, think of the fun your kids will have decorating a large tank!!

debbie51975
03-12-2010, 09:11 PM
UPDATE: Put him in a 10g today:) Posted pics under photos:):):):)thumbs2:

GouramiFan87
03-16-2010, 12:04 PM
To give you an idea of his current dwelling....

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac161/thecatinthehatsemail/bettaboy.jpg

You think this would be ok for about a week? I know that if they're not happy, their color can fade etc.... But dh isn't wanting to go to LFS till next Tuesday now, so for the time being, this is it...I can't put him in my community tank, I already have a betta in there. 10 g now holding guppies, 50g is broke down and stand being built, other 10g has a hamster, 20g has a gecko...LOL I got a lotta critters! And then there's this one & another 10g has a blue betta in it.....I know that these guys can't be with each other, but I can't stop getting them! The colors are amazing. So I get them KNOWING full well, I'll be running to the store for another home! Why do I do this? I swear, if I could have a tank the size of my living room.....omg....the fun I would have!

You have a zoo. You know, I agree that bettas would prefer a 5 gallon, but they can live HAPPILY in a 3.5 gallon tank! My first fish was a Betta (named Phoenix) who lived in a 1.5 gallon tank with heat, aeration, filtration, etc. He was happy and extremely healthy! I only had one miniplant in the tank so he could swim around and get plenty of exercise, and I would recommend you do the same. Put a couple plants on the outlying areas of the tank and maybe a small one in the center for shelter. Bettas don't like seeing their own reflections so if you have a tank background you can cut down to size, that's even better.

In short, your betta will do fine in that 3.5 gallon, provided you do the usual maintenance routines, (which I'm sure you will since you seem very experienced). Good luck!

EDIT: I always answer these questions waaaay too late. I keep forgetting to scroll to the second page. Oh well... that's what I get for working third shift and answering questions that are a day old.

AdrienDeLaChicago
03-28-2010, 09:29 AM
That' some funky gravel. :)

It's too bad with a tank that small that a HOB filter wasn't supplied with that tank. It would give your betta more room to swim around in.

Sarkazmo
03-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Azoo Palm filters are GREAT for little tanks like these. The filter only costs about $9 on Foster and Smith. Recently Red Sea has been selling a rebranded version for much more. It's the same filter. Toss out the supplied media and put an AquaClear 20 sponge in it. They also have adjustable flow so you can tailor the current to the inhabitants.

By the way, there's no reason you couldn't keep him in there permanently. I keep Betta in 1G and larger tanks. I do have one that's in a 1/2 gallon tank but he's a special needs Betta. His tail is so long that he can't swim properly. All tanks are filtered, heated, and have live plants. I think he could be quite happy in that tank as it's close to the action. Betta like to watch what's going on on the other side of the glass.

I always recommend the Tetra 50W Submersible heaters for Betta tanks. It's a small heater but unlike the Hydor flat heaters the Tetra heater has a thermostat (an electronic one to boot) that keeps the water at exactly 78F. There's no setting to change which is a bit annoying but it also means that it's fool-proof. You put it in and plug it in, that's all there is to it.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-29791-39408-heater.jpg

Sark

AdrienDeLaChicago
03-28-2010, 11:51 PM
I had one of those Tetra heaters included in my Half Moon Tetra 10 gallon tank. The water never got above 72. Perhaps it was defective. Tetra sent me a nicer one as a replacement that is by Marineland which is the Visi-Therm Stealth Submersible Heater. These are very nice heaters and you get control over what you want the temperature at.

Sarkazmo
03-29-2010, 02:58 AM
I dunno, I've got four of them and they all work flawlessly.

Sark