PDA

View Full Version : Will Guppies Eat My RCS?

The Curious
03-10-2010, 03:00 PM
I just ordered some rcs to put into a 10 gallon tank that currently has 1 betta and 4 guppies.

My friend has been keeping a cory cat in a bowl, I got pissed at him so he is giving the lil guy to me tomorrow. I am planning on getting another 55 gallon, so the cory will be getting freinds soon enough, but I just gotta get him outta that bowl for now, so he is gonna go in the 10 gallon for a bit.

I have been told that bettas will eat rcs, so I'm planning on moving him either into a breeding container i have with slits in the side, so he would still be in filtered water, or into a new set-up...still figuring that out. Would a betta be ok in a (8"long x 3"tall x 4"wide) floating breeder box inside of a 10 gallon tank?

Would the guppies eat my RCS? I've kinda been thinking about taking them back to the lfs anyway, so it won't be the end of the world if they are not compatable with rcs...just trying to find out for sure.

Thanks ACthumbs2:

MCHRKiller
03-10-2010, 04:15 PM
I kept some guppies with RCS and they never bothered them, not to say yours wouldnt be a totally different story. But generally speaking...they should leave them well enough alone. The betta should be fine in that breeder box until you can get your tank situation sorted out a little better. A better solution may be to get a tank divider, you can get one from petsmart for like $9...just divide him off a portion of the tank with the cory and your shrimp will be safe then for sure.

The Curious
03-10-2010, 04:26 PM
A better solution may be to get a tank divider, you can get one from petsmart for like $9...just divide him off a portion of the tank with the cory and your shrimp will be safe then for sure.

Yeah, I have one of them, not too happy with how it looks, but it is a good idea and I might go down that route.

I might just try the guppies and the rcs together and see what happens. If there is any issue the guppies are going back to the lfs.

Are cories and RCS Ok to keep together?

MCHRKiller
03-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Usually they are, the main concern with cories is that they will probably eat the fry RCS and will make it hard for the RCS to find food on the bottom.

The Curious
03-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Usually they are, the main concern with cories is that they will probably eat the fry RCS and will make it hard for the RCS to find food on the bottom.

Makes sense, the cory will only be around for a while. Thought about temporarily throwing him in a 55 gallon I have with some goldfish and a turtle who is very calm, I'm just worried that the cory will become turt food.

Thanks much for the info MCHRKiller.thumbs2:

The Curious
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Will glass cats eat rcs and their new-borns?

Sarkazmo
03-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Doubtful but possible. I don't think they'd go after the adults but maybe the young RCS. RCS will tend to stay on plants and the bottom with a few free swims. The Glass Cats will stay in the top to mid areas of the tank. The ONLY fish that's known for sure to not eat RCS are Otocinclus Cats.

Sark

The Curious
03-10-2010, 09:02 PM
The ONLY fish that's known for sure to not eat RCS are Otocinclus Cats.

Awesome to know...thanks

jestep
03-11-2010, 12:35 AM
How small are your RCS's?

As far as my experience, at least the teenagers and adults (say 1/2"+), they can hold their own against moderately aggressive fish, and guppies shouldn't be any problem. Full grown ones can usually survive with Discus, Angelfish, and other small cichlids as long as there is ample vegetation to hide in. They are very fast when they need to be, and guppies, or cory's, barbs, and other small fish shouldn't be any concern.

They will need good vegetation to successfully reproduce with anything larger than guppies, but even without, they are prolific enough that there is a good chance of some babies surviving in a community tank.

Anyway, you shouldn't have any problem with the guppies or cory's or any other small non aggressive fish.

The Curious
03-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I do not know how small my RCS are yet...hehe...still waiting on the shipment.

Thanks though...like I said...I'll give the guppies a test run with the RCS and see what happens.

I'll probably get 1-2 Otocinclus Cats as well. Thanks for the invert stocking info guys.