PDA

View Full Version : Winter is over for us ,FEED MEEEE NOW!!!!

smaug
03-09-2010, 11:25 PM
The water temp has risen to 50 deg and my boys and girls in the pond are starvin like marvin:hmm3grin2orange: They all made it and look very good to boot,now the plants will start greening up and it will soon be a lush water hole again.Ill get pics up of them at supper time soon.It was a long nasty winter for them,Im always so happy to see them healthy.:shappy:

octoxpuss
03-09-2010, 11:27 PM
that is atleast peace of mine. It is great that they are healthy. Today we reached 63 degrees IN PA woot woot. I am used to 23 hahaha. Just dont jynx it before it turns to spring. Congratz

toddnbecka
03-10-2010, 05:21 AM
I still have ice at least a couple inches thick in my pond. I really doubt any of the fish survived several weeks of ice and snow completely covering the surface. I'm just hoping it didn't freeze down far enough to wipe out the water lilies too. They're all potted, but the water is only 17" deep.

Lady Hobbs
03-10-2010, 12:21 PM
You mean they don't eat all winter? Never thought of that. Winter is nearly over here, as well. Never seen such a mild March before but it ain't over until the fat lady sings. 52 degrees here yesterday!

smaug
03-10-2010, 10:15 PM
You mean they don't eat all winter? Never thought of that. Winter is nearly over here, as well. Never seen such a mild March before but it ain't over until the fat lady sings. 52 degrees here yesterday!
I dont feed them but they may eat small amounts of algae or other plant material.Below 45 deg they really cant digest food and there metabolism is so slow they arent burning anything either.

hybridguy
03-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Hey all is well in my pond too. The temp in the water is not 50 yet but they are all swimming around. This was the coldest winter in 35 yrs down here in the south.

HeatherB
03-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Good your fish are starving! Get that food going! Sorry for the thread jack- but I can only find this size pellet for mine- can't find wheat germ flakes or anything.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5569

You think the MINI is small enough for the goldfish? They are swimming around...and I want to feed them- but not if I can't get the right food. Or should I just feed them the pond flakes they had?

EmmanuelJB
03-11-2010, 01:20 AM
Its great to hear all of your fish did well over the winter!

smaug
03-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Good your fish are starving! Get that food going! Sorry for the thread jack- but I can only find this size pellet for mine- can't find wheat germ flakes or anything.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5569

You think the MINI is small enough for the goldfish? They are swimming around...and I want to feed them- but not if I can't get the right food. Or should I just feed them the pond flakes they had?
http://www.hikari.info/koimenu/koi_size.html
There web site states this size pellet to be about an 1/8th inch.I think a goldy thats about 3" body size should be able to gulp that.You could crush them as well.

Wild Turkey
03-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Got that metabolism back up quick didnt they?! It hasnt even been that warm yet I think they might just know they have a good owner that will feed them if they get active:hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
03-12-2010, 12:39 AM
50 deg water temp is where its at for them to get hungry.Its the same every year.The trick is to make sure its gonna stay that way for a week straight after you start feeding them.They can get very sick with a full belly and water temps that are to low to digest.The thing about ornamental lined ponds are there ability to warm up very quickly due to there black bottoms and absorbing the suns energy.They don't stay stable like dirt bottom bodies of water.

Wild Turkey
03-12-2010, 12:45 AM
I was just trying to sneak in both a joke and compliment, Got caught. :hmm3grin2orange:

Thats great info though, ill remember that when I dig my first

smaug
03-12-2010, 12:55 AM
I got the comp:shappy: Just thought Id share the other info.Many new pond keepers will feed whenever they see the fish beg.

xasuma
03-15-2010, 03:44 AM
Which fish do you have there?
im surprised they survive for that cold.
im wondering if i could have one in wisconsin. :p

smaug
03-15-2010, 11:46 PM
I have koi,comets and fancy goldfish.They have survived 6 winters like this.Of cource you could have them in wisconsin providing you kept an open hole in the ice for air exchange.

cubby
03-17-2010, 12:33 AM
spotted two of my yellow/orange koi today! very excitied.

Scrup
03-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Yep prettymuch as long as the water they are in is still liquid and they have a hole to the top for gas exchange goldies and koi will be fine. Mine just started eating again too, went berserk for the food actually. may have waited a few days too long to feed em. Glad to hear they all made it!

smaug
03-22-2010, 11:32 PM
They got bizzzzy at some point early spring by eveidence of the tiny fry I see darting around already!I suppose they must be comets.