PDA

View Full Version : Optimal food for goldfish?

sower
03-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Just wondering what others feed their goldfish, and what is recommended for fast growth and good health. Currently feeding them sera flakes and pellets and occasionally frozen brine shrimp and daphnia.

gm72
03-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Any of the 3 top brands I believe have goldfish specific formulas. Hikari, New Life Spectrum, Omega One.

VoidParadigm
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Also you can throw in fresh fruit and veggies occasionally. It takes some trial and error to find out what they like, but as Goldfish are scavengers and grazers you should occasionally provide some plant material for them to do just that with.

My big males like: Shrimp, algae wafers, anything green, and leftover bits of codfish.
But my females like: Strawberries, earthworms, and melon.
Absolutely will NOT touch pieces from the male's selection.

So, trial and error is all you can do. =)

sailor
03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Ensure that the food that you do pick is made for gold fish and not tropical fish. As tropical fish food is too high in ph for gold fish and gives them the equivolent as heartburn in humans. Special goldfish food has a lower protein and higher carbohydrate content than conventional fish food. Consider occasionally offering snacks, such as leafy vegetables (lettuce and spinach) or live food (brine shrimp and mosquito larvae), for variety.

kookla
03-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Just wondering what others feed their goldfish, and what is recommended for fast growth and good health. Currently feeding them sera flakes and pellets and occasionally frozen brine shrimp and daphnia.

I don't know what I've been doing but my little girl is thriving. I have her in a small-ish tank, about 3-3.5 gal, and the water is nice. I feed her regular tetra brand pellets, and some freeze-dried bloodworms, but I guess the conditions are optimal because I actually have issues controlling her releasing eggs. She's just laying them everywhere!

I heard that's a sign of great water quality and good conditions and food, so I'm guessing I'm doing alright.

sower
03-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all the great info, will look into getting some fish food this weekend!