PDA

View Full Version : Rock'em, Sock'em Rainbows

Zilla
03-09-2010, 02:14 AM
As we all know, I have Boesemani and Turquoise Rainbows. I have atleast 1 male of each and it's the males that are bickering. I say atleast as I'm not sure about my other Turquoise which is younger and I believe my other two Boesemani are female as their colors are nothing like the male's. They are also not as large for whatever that is worth.

Anyway, so the known male Boesemani and Turquoise have been going head to head lately. It's nothing serious, it's more like having 2 toddlers in the tank for lack of a better description. If one is hanging out in one spot, the other will come over and either chase or nudge the other out of the way. If the male Boesemani goes near any of the females in the tank, the Turquoise will dart over and get inbetween the two of them.

So the questions are:

Do I need to pay close attention to this drama or not?

If yes, what should I do about it? Adding more live plants isn't a option, but I can certainly break visuals with fake plants if need be.

How long will this behavior continue?

Tank parameters:

Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
pH- 7.0
Temp- 79 degrees

Other possible useless (?) info:

Water changes- 30% x 2 per week
Fed a varied diet once a day
Photo period- Lights on for 8 hours

rich311k
03-09-2010, 03:09 AM
They will do it constantly. It is fun to watch, mine have never hurt each other in the least. It is one of the reasons I love my bows, constant motion and displaying.

Zilla
03-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Rich.

They've just started doing this so I had no idea whether they needed a intervention or not. They don't fight over food or anything like that, they just like to bicker when there isn't food around.

Their little halos just became alittle more slanted.

VoidParadigm
03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't worry about it unless on the off chance someone gets hurt. Fish who bully for food are the ones you need to keep an eye on. =)

So... when do we get to see them?!
:hmm3grin2orange:

Zilla
03-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Either when they grow up alittle more and slow down a bit or when I buy a camera lense that can catch them in action. LOL

I have a picture of one of the beasts and it's not even a good one. I was playing with the camera and tripod one day and just happened to click the cable release button at the right time. And yes, that is JJ's butt in the background.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/Zillasplace/017.jpg

Lady Hobbs
03-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Strange how we all have different experiences even with the same fish. I found my turquoise my most mild mannered. Right now I have 9 male and 1 female boesemani and not a bit of aggression which is odd when the female is so out numbered. I lost all my tourquise.....twice.....but will try them one more time.

Taurus
03-09-2010, 03:33 PM
I have a picture of one of the beasts and it's not even a good one. I was playing with the camera and tripod one day and just happened to click the cable release button at the right time. And yes, that is JJ's butt in the background.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/Zillasplace/017.jpg

That's a pretty good picture..good enough to tell that's a nice rainbow.

AquaLene
03-09-2010, 06:27 PM
If they are just displaying and swimming around each other with fins up, then they should be fine. I wouldn't worry unless one (the smaller of the two) is showing signs of injury & distress (gasping, tired, losing colour etc). If not, let them have their harmless "arm wrestling" contests, it is in their nature.

I've only experienced serious in-fighting amongst male rainbows when the one is far larger than the other and the smaller one thinks he can take on the " big boy". If their 'showing off' to each other turns into serious nipping and fighting separate them.

Zilla
03-09-2010, 08:06 PM
My large Turquoise we've had for almost a year and the others we've had for a few months. Initally the Turquoise didn't pay any attention to the new additions and then one day I was doing something near the tank and he hung out with them if only for a moment and it's been fine up until recently.

No stress, gasping for air, injuries or hiding in corners due to fear. They're just being themselves and doing a good job living up their what seems to be a growing list of nicknames. Brats, Punks, Fish that Behave Badly, ect.

None of them mess with my Geo and he doesn't mess with them ( annoyed with sometimes yes, but it's never mean spirited and they usually deserve it) but sometimes I wonder what he's thinking when he sits in his corner and watches all this flexing. There was a time when he had the whole tank to himself and I often wonder if he still wishes for those days. LOL