PDA

View Full Version : Water test results - help pls :)

Tails
05-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Note to mods: Sorry, looked for the correct section for this topic, and landed on this one - if its in the wrong place, please move it with my apologies :11:

Ok as you all know, I recently purchased a (sexy, handsome!) Betta...

Just did my 1st water test, and these were my results:

pH: 6.8
KH: 0°d
GH: <3°d
N0²: 0-1
N0³: 0-10 (the colouring is a little vague for the N0's)

I've been looking up the correct values for a Betta tank, and all I've found is the pH, which is ok (ideal is 7.0)...can anyone tell me the other factors?

I set the tank up almost a week ago with 4 live plants...should I start getting ready to do a 20%-30% water change or do I leave it?

kimmers318
05-09-2007, 11:46 AM
For any tank you should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and low nitrates, some say less than 20, others go with under 40 on nitrates, alot of it depends on how susceptible the species is to higher nitrates, some fish are more sensitive than others.

Sasquatch
05-09-2007, 12:08 PM
The nitrite readings are potentially worrysome. 0-1 (mg/L?) is pretty broad and nitrites can be toxic at levels below 1 mg/L.

I also notice that you don't have any ammonia (NH3/NH4) values, it's important to have these, especially in a new tank. It lets you know, along with the nitrites and nitrates, how far along your cycle is.

As for water changes, it's always nice to have the water ready in case of an emergency, so try to keep some set aside, just in case.

Tails
05-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks! I will try buy some ammonia tests when I have some cash :D

Cichlid_Man
05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Hi,
Make sure you don't get test strips. They are worthless. You are better off getting a nice API (American Pharmaceuticals) test kit that tests for everything.