PDA

View Full Version : Remove Foam and Pot From Potted Plants?

A340
05-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Hey everyone!

As most of you know, I'm just getting into planted aquariums, after many years of rift lake tanks. So, I'm struggling along, but things are going nicely.

Anyway, my question is two fold:

1) Are potted plants or rooted plants better, or is there no difference?

2) In regards to potted plants, I remember reading somewhere that you should (eventually) take them out of the pots and remove the foam around the roots. Is this correct and if so, how do you do this without damaging the roots?

Paging Chrona in ......1.......2.......3.......:ezpi_wink1:

cocoa_pleco
05-09-2007, 01:05 PM
potted ones eventually need to get rid of the pots and be attached somewhere else, thats it. To remove the pot, just slowly pull out the foam that holds the plant, and gently remove it.

Chrona
05-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Hey everyone!

As most of you know, I'm just getting into planted aquariums, after many years of rift lake tanks. So, I'm struggling along, but things are going nicely.

Anyway, my question is two fold:

1) Are potted plants or rooted plants better, or is there no difference?

2) In regards to potted plants, I remember reading somewhere that you should (eventually) take them out of the pots and remove the foam around the roots. Is this correct and if so, how do you do this without damaging the roots?

Paging Chrona in ......1.......2.......3.......:ezpi_wink1:

lol

1) Rooted plants are usually sold in pots as this provides them with nutrients while they are at the LFS. Much healthier plants this way

2) Yes, you need to remove all of the rockwool after taking the pot off before planting it in the substrate. Otherwise, it will eventually rot/stifle root growth. Also make sure to cut the bottom 1/4 roots off on rooted plants to encourage root growth. If the roots are all tangled with the pot, just cut up the pot a little with scissors before trying to remove it.

A340
05-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the info! I figured that the foam/wool provided more benefits for the plants, but wasn't too sure, since potted plants are double the price for rooted plants around here.

Chrona
05-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the info! I figured that the foam/wool provided more benefits for the plants, but wasn't too sure, since potted plants are double the price for rooted plants around here.

No problem :)