PDA

View Full Version : Misunderstanding with Substrate

j0hnh0lmes
03-08-2010, 06:44 PM
I have a slight misunderstanding here. Alot of sites that sell plant substrate state to just put it in the bottom...blah blah blah.

Do most people mix plant substrate & gravel/sand (depending on what your putting in the tank)?

I'm looking at doing a heavy planted 55g and want to make sure they get what they need. I read the stickies on what the plants need but it didn't state anywhere if I should do just straight plant substrate or mix.

Also is crushed coral & reef sand really a good plant substrate?

Edit: Is there a major difference in regular substrate & substrate specifically for African Cichlids?

Lady Hobbs
03-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Most do not mix it.

annageckos
03-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Crushed coral and reef sand are not good for planted tanks. If you want sand there are many choises. Play sand, pool filter sand, sand blasting sand, plain sand from the LFS or sand made for plants. There are sertain substrates made for plants that you put down first then cover with a layer of substrate. I use play sand and use root taps for the plants that need it. This works for me, but is not the only way.

j0hnh0lmes
03-08-2010, 06:52 PM
If it helps I'm looking at planting the tank about as much as the one in your sig. I'll most likely have a mix of German Blue Rams & Angelfish.

Is there a major difference in regular substrate & substrate specifically for African Cichlids?

So I should buy the plant substrate & spread at the bottom then cover with w/e substrate I'm going with?

Sorry for the noobish questions but I want a beautiful tank the first time. Like my mom always said, do it right the first time...or I'll punch you in the mouth. LMAO.

Lady Hobbs
03-08-2010, 06:55 PM
John, mixing plant substrate with sand is not a good idea, IMO. Sand is finer so will settle under the plant substrate and that's where the roots are and where you want those nitrients the most.

korith
03-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Mixing substrate usually don't work too well. The larger and finer particles end up separating eventually.

Not sure about crushed coral for a planted substrate. Some people use crushed coral in their cichlid tanks to modify the pH.

For plants I think you'll find the more popular substrates are any of the soil types, like ada, ecocomplete, and other brands like that. Flourite is another option rich in nutrients for plants. Flourite has rough edges on it, so not great if you have cories and such that like to root around in the substrate, will end up just scratching themselves. Sand/gravel really adds no value to plants, would have to supplement the plants need for nutrients with fertilizer tablets. I've grown plants in just plain old gravel before, it worked, I just let the fish fertilizer accumulate and some plants really took off, also added fertilizer root tablets.

j0hnh0lmes
03-08-2010, 07:04 PM
OK, I was actually looking at the Eco-complete. I think that is what I'll go with. Has anyone had any issues with tanning or anything since this is dirt?

tanks4thememories
03-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I've grown plants in just plain old gravel before, it worked, I just let the fish fertilizer accumulate and some plants really took off, also added fertilizer root tablets.

Have you grown plants in just sand before? Which plants do you think will do well in such a case? Low to moderate light plants of course.

Zilla
03-08-2010, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't mix with crushed coral, however, various types of substrates can be mixed into small sized stone gravel if you don't want just soil or gravel.

I don't have a link handy, but if you look into it, you should find some ideas of how to accomplish a mix that allows plants to root and grab nutrients from while not having all sand or Eco-Complete.

Wild Turkey
03-08-2010, 07:21 PM
OK, I was actually looking at the Eco-complete. I think that is what I'll go with. Has anyone had any issues with tanning or anything since this is dirt?

Its not really dirt, but its close. It is more of a sandy gravel. Personally I love the stuff for a few reasons and its a great substrate for your first planted tank imo. It is however, an inert substrate so no worries there.

j0hnh0lmes
03-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Awesome! Thanks for all the info. If I don't like the color I may mix Eco-complete (fine) with some course gravel. I'll let you guys know how it turns out! Now on to the plant hunt. Any tips would be great on that one also ;)

I hate being a noob but it's great to learn!

Wild Turkey
03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Awesome! Thanks for all the info. If I don't like the color I may mix Eco-complete (fine) with some course gravel. I'll let you guys know how it turns out! Now on to the plant hunt. Any tips would be great on that one also ;)

I hate being a noob but it's great to learn!

Start by making sure you have the right lighting, check out some of the threads in the plant sections or start some of your own. What plants you are going to be able to grow depends heavily on how much light you can provide, and that you have the right spectrum(color/temperature) of light for growing plants.

korith
03-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Have you grown plants in just sand before? Which plants do you think will do well in such a case? Low to moderate light plants of course.

Only for a short time, I got tired of the plants getting uprooted and the sand was annoying to clean. Was using pool filter sand in one tank and tahitian moon sand before in another tank. Sand not really ideal for plants.

If you got your heart set on sand, you could always put your plants into pots that contain a good soil, and then bury it into the sand. check out this site http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php has a huge list of plants, you can look at them in categories like lighting requirements and difficulty. Maybe give us an idea of what plants you like and the type of fish you want to keep, that can help you pick what would work best.

tanks4thememories
03-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Only for a short time, I got tired of the plants getting uprooted and the sand was annoying to clean. Was using pool filter sand in one tank and tahitian moon sand before in another tank. Sand not really ideal for plants.

If you got your heart set on sand, you could always put your plants into pots that contain a good soil, and then bury it into the sand. check out this site http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php has a huge list of plants, you can look at them in categories like lighting requirements and difficulty. Maybe give us an idea of what plants you like and the type of fish you want to keep, that can help you pick what would work best.

Ahhh ty I like that...:19: