PDA

View Full Version : Bettas in a "community"

aelwero
03-08-2010, 03:38 AM
We have 2 bettas, and they are bipolar opposites :)

The "oldest" has been in a 30g with 5 guppies and a few ghost shrimp, and after watching him like a hawk for a week we decided that he was fine with company. He's been in there for about 6 months with no issues at all.

The other, a crown tail, we put in for maybe 15 seconds. (the other was removed for the test) He was crazy aggressive and went chasing after the guppies quickly enough that it was hard to catch the little guy. Needless to say, he doesn't have any tankmates now and never will. I considered trying him in my 75g with a few catfish, but decided it might be a little too hard to catch him with that much space to run around in, so we didn't try it. He lives all by his lonesome in a little 5g now.

So basically, I don't think the question "can I put a betta in with (insert fish here)?" can really be answered at all in a general way. The only real way to know if a betta is ok with other fish types is to try. But before you go trying it out, have a tank ready for just him.

I know the forum hates small tanks, but an antisocial betta and a 5g tank are a perfect pairing if you ask me. The 5g tanks are hard to start up and cycle, but I'm actually considering a couple 5g "corner" tanks with single bettas in them.

SunSchein89
03-08-2010, 05:15 AM
Might've gone after the guppies because of their fins. He still might do good with other fish, I've heard of this happening with guppies before.

Northernguy
03-08-2010, 05:19 AM
Thats right! It depends completely on the each individual fish.
They all have different attitudes and personalities.

korith
03-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Also some bettas can have mood swings. Had one in a 20g long with just ghost shrimp as companions for several months. Then out of the blue in a matter of 2 or 3 days, he wiped out all the ghost shrimp.