PDA

View Full Version : Parasitic worm in ghost shrimp?

buce_n_gar
05-08-2007, 10:32 PM
I have six Ghost Shrimp in my 10 gal tank, along with Malaysian Trumpet Snails, three Feeder Guppies, and one Betta. I have no plants, with a sand substrate.

I need an expert on shrimp to answer this question if possible.

A few days ago I noticed one of my Ghost/Grass shrimp had three or four white lines inside it's carapace (in it's body), and one trails down the length of the tail (again inside the body). In comparision, none of my other shrimp have this feature, male or female. I immediately removed this shrimp (female) and isolated it because I feared it was a type of internal parasitic worm that would spread to my fish and other shrimp.

Is this a worm, or an internal organ I'm not familiar with, again none of my other shrimp have this feature. If it is an internal worm, what would you recommend as a treatment, salt maybe?

Thanks, Phoenix.

cocoa_pleco
05-09-2007, 12:09 AM
A pic would help, but if the shrimps not lethargic i think hes just fine

Drumachine09
05-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Pretty sure its just a part of the body, but i could be wrong.

Algenco
05-09-2007, 12:52 AM
I believe its normal, at least I hope. I have a couple that look the same way. Healthy and active!

cocoa_pleco
05-09-2007, 02:00 AM
nothing to worry about then. maybe hes just molting?

buce_n_gar
05-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the help.

My second question is where do you guys buy Iodine for your tanks to help with molting? What is a common product that I can buy at a retail store?

I'm willing to use non-traditional sources (for example medicinal Iodine in liquid form for human consumption), and/or non-proprietary (non-name brand as long as it's safe and free from added chemicals).

Thanks, Phoenix.

Drumachine09
05-09-2007, 04:53 PM
There is iodine in iodized table salt, but i dont think shrimp can handle salt.

You should be able to buy it as a supplement.

Shrimper
05-10-2007, 05:51 AM
There should be enough iodine in the foods they eat.
I have around a thousand shrimps in my tank at present and I never add a drop of iodine.
I did along time ago pick some up at the LFS for marine inverts but research showed that it was not required and could do more harm than good.

I'm not sure about your ghost shrimp.
I agree that a picture would help alot.
I suspect nothing out of the ordinary as well but if its behaviour is off it may be better to cull or isolate it.

Algenco
05-17-2007, 02:48 AM
I was wrong! Ghost shrimp can have flatworms! Based on the pics I saw that is what the white streak in mine was. Got rid of it quick, if it passes the worm you will have problems.

http://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=2510

cocoa_pleco
05-17-2007, 03:00 AM
Darn, you learn something everyday!