PDA

View Full Version : Food glorious food

evilstench
03-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Tom the bristtlenose is about 2.5 inches long now and is the boss of the tank.
He spends most of his time sitting right at the front of the tank on a piece of cucumber and then goes on a quick clean up tour of the tank.

I've started giving him some algea wafer as a change of scene. He didnt seen sure at first but seems to like them enough to stop the other fish having a taste now! The odd frozen bloodworm is welcome too.

He has been one of the most entertaining additions to the tank. What other cullinary delights can I offer besides the cucumber to vary his diet a bit more?

troy
03-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Squash, broccoli, peas, banana, cabbage, and chinese cabbage. You can try feeding it different fruits and vegetables to find out what it likes.

VoidParadigm
03-06-2010, 02:43 AM
Basically, any fruit or veggie. The list of what they've been known to eat is too long to give you even a rough idea of what yours will. If someday you're eating some fruit with breakfast, or preparing veggies with supper, save him an unseasoned/sugared piece and see if he likes it. If not, ah well. Trial and error is all you can do.

My plecos for example LOVE sweet grapes and strawberries... but hate the age old favorite of cucumbers.

korith
03-06-2010, 07:33 AM
He has been one of the most entertaining additions to the tank. What other cullinary delights can I offer besides the cucumber to vary his diet a bit more?

I was always told cucumbers have little nutritional value. I like zucchini, lettuce, other greens, depends on what I'm making for my dinner:P My fish and shrimp seem to demolish zucchini very quickly.

You could try banana and mangoes too, really messes with the water but they will just have a feeding frenzy. Fruits have a lot of sugar in them, and can mess up water quality if left in too long.

Whatever you use, vary the diet. All the stuff people mentioned works.

evilstench
03-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Thanks for that. I'll try feeding stuff at random and see what he likes.
I put a piece of cucumber in there 24 hrs ago which was twice his size. Just the rind left now.

bob saget
03-08-2010, 07:48 AM
plecos are awesome. mine likes zucchini and cucumber. but man, do they poop alot :(

evilstench
04-11-2010, 11:44 PM
well a while has passed and I've tried sweet potato which he seemed to eat a bit of.
Grapes just torn in half and dropped in proved very successful. Just the skins left in no time.
But the star food has been honeydew melon. I put a piece twice his size in and after 24 hours I took out what was left. Not much!
How can something eat that much?

VoidParadigm
04-11-2010, 11:46 PM
I once ate six plates full of supper, seven bowls of icecream, two salads, and a dozen crablegs.

When the food is good, the creature finds room! :lol:

Next time see if there's an influx in poop. Going through that much, it's very likely you'd see quite a mess! Try to remember not to put too much in, just like when feeding flakes and pellets.

evilstench
04-11-2010, 11:58 PM
I'll keep that in mind. he'll have to keep to scavenging for a day or two I think.
Or learn to eat swordtail fry - I've got plenty all of a sudden.

korith
04-12-2010, 04:08 AM
plecos are awesome. mine likes zucchini and cucumber. but man, do they poop alot :(

Plecos are poop machines:P I had one for a very short time, but got rid of it for that reason.

evilstench
04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
I dont think i'll be getting rid of him. He is great fun, active night and day, the boss of the tank.
I do try to vary what he has and how much. All the fish fast for 36 hours once a week, so on any day he'll be fed nothing or some fruit or veg or an algae wafer (which he reluctantly shares with everything else apart from the tetras).
He is growing fast now but hopefully the poop will stay under control.

Aeonflame
04-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Lol.. I wouldn't count on it. During my weekly vacuuming, its mostly pleco "product" that I pick up.

Lindsey
04-14-2010, 10:58 PM
They're so much fun to watch at feeding time.. it makes me sad to have no room for a common and no way to get a bristlenose!