PDA

View Full Version : Ludwigia repens- Clip or not

Zilla
03-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Mine was in a very sad state when I bought it. It came from Pet Smart and I honestly didn't know whether it would survive or not. I've kept it, showed it some love and now it's sprouting new leaves all over the place.

The problem is what do I do with all the crusty leaves it came with as under all the nasty looking leaves are green healthy leaves and leaf buds. Obviously I don't want to clip the new stuff off, but the old, nasty leaves are a eye sore.

Will it bother it if I just clip the old leaves off so the new leaves get more light or should nature just take it's course which means I'll have to show some patience and just let the old leaves drop on their own?

rich311k
03-05-2010, 03:16 PM
You could cut off the bottom of the stems where the old leaves are and replant the tops.

Zilla
03-05-2010, 05:13 PM
A picture would help in this case, but all the crusty leaves are on the top. The bottom or stem part became bald after I planted it. There are new leaves popping up from there now as well though.

EDITED: Photo added

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/Zillasplace/002.jpg

If you look down the stem of the piece in the front, there is new growth popping up under all the nasty looking leaves.

Sarkazmo
03-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Let it grow out some more to make sure the plant is healthy and strong then cut off the dying/damaged leaves.

Sark

smaug
03-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Lud is a very hardy plant and resonds great to vigourous trimming.From the pic you posted I would tell you to simply remove the top ugly part.The more you trim such as this the bushier it will get.

Lady Hobbs
03-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Agree. The more you trim, the more side shoots appear.

Zilla
03-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the input.

Since the plant is happy where it is, I'll get a small pair of scissors and trim the nasty stuff off. On the ends of each stem there are tiny leaves coming out and I don't want to cut those off and my big cutters won't allow me to get around the healthy new growth.