PDA

View Full Version : Help with Identifications

greg@dive.bc.ca
05-08-2007, 08:44 AM
I aquired a tank full of what I think are all Malawi cichlids and I need some help with identifying them. Reptileguy2727 gave me a few hints but any other info that I could get would be great. All the fish are on the following web site. I have listed my best guess is above each fish or pair of fish but by no means do I expect that I got them correct.
http://dive.bc.ca/cichlids/

cocoa_pleco
05-08-2007, 02:39 PM
i for sure see a few electric yellows, and maybe a few socoloffis

Drumachine09
05-08-2007, 02:42 PM
On group "C", you got the psuedotropheus socolofi right on, not sure about the top one, but the bottom one is right on.

On group "F", you have labidochromis caeruleus, male, then female.

greg@dive.bc.ca
05-08-2007, 04:16 PM
On group "C", you got the psuedotropheus socolofi right on, not sure about the top one, but the bottom one is right on.

On group "F", you have labidochromis caeruleus, male, then female.

So on Group "F" you said that I was correct that is a male then female. Do you mind telling me how you know which is which? The female has not eaten since I got her and I notice that her jaw is just slightly distended and she always keeps her mouth almost completely closed unlike her partner. Could she be carrying eggs with such a small distension? Wouldnt her jaw be bulging more?

Anyone else know any more of these fish

Fishguy2727
05-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Sounds like she is holding. She may not have a very large brood.

CAF
05-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Group A appear to be "Red Zebras"
Group D are too young to verify, but are probably hybrids
Group G fish 1 appears to be an OB Peacock
Group G fish 2 appears to be a yellow shouldered peacock aka Sulfurhead

Not sure about the rest. Good luck!

greg@dive.bc.ca
05-10-2007, 07:20 PM
When I am looking on http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/african_cichlid_genus_gallery.php and trying to indentify these little buggers I guess I need the scientific name so if anyone knows the scientific name that Is what I need.

Thank you

Greg

Fishguy2727
05-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Why do you need such specific identifications? Unless they are wild caught or from known wild caughts you have to assume they are not pure bred. The most important thing is whether they are mbuna, peacock, or open water. Peacocks should be with peacocks, mbunas with mbunas, etc.

cocoa_pleco
05-10-2007, 08:03 PM
exactly. Just dont mix peacocks with mbunas and all that. As long as theyre both mbunas. or peacocks, etc. it should work out

greg@dive.bc.ca
05-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Well when I am trying to read details about that specific fish using the link that I supplied, they only use Scientific names so I dont know how to relate the names that I have been given with the names on that site.

Thank you again for all your help.

Fishguy2727
05-10-2007, 09:24 PM
What are you trying to figure out? Either the mbunas or the peacocks need to be removed, get the pH to 8.2, and add the special lake salts.

CAF
05-10-2007, 11:23 PM
What are you trying to figure out? Either the mbunas or the peacocks need to be removed, get the pH to 8.2, and add the special lake salts.

Ok I'll admit I am a heathen, but I have Central and South American, Rift, Madagscaran, and West Africian Cichlids all in the same tank. Mbunas, Peacocks, Geophagus, etc. They do just fine. You just have to overcrowd the tank. I need nitrate heavy water for my planted tanks anyway. Otherwise I'll grant it would be a pain for all water changes needed... thumbs2: My pH out of the tap is 7.6 and I keep it that way. While higher or lower pH may be prefered by any one particualr species, they all do just fine at this middle ground.

cocoa_pleco
05-11-2007, 03:01 AM
I have Central and South American, Rift, Madagscaran, and West Africian Cichlids all in the same tank. Mbunas, Peacocks, Geophagus, etc.

Thats a bomb waiting to happen!

The Mbunas must be juveniles. If you dont make the fish all 1 type, the mbunas are going to suddenly grow up like my auratus and try to kill anything that look at it wrong

Fishguy2727
05-11-2007, 03:13 AM
Every once in a while someone doesn't have trouble with things that in general should not go together, but it is still way too likely for problems to occur to do it or recommend it.

cocoa_pleco
05-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Every once in a while someone doesn't have trouble with things that in general should not go together, but it is still way too likely for problems to occur to do it or recommend it.

just like how the 5 neons in my tank with the auratus suddenly disapearred...

Reptileguy is right. Taking action now will save you in a longroad

Fishguy2727
05-11-2007, 12:33 PM
And it is hard to tell if it is truly 'fine', especially with very hardy species like most mbunas. They are very forgiving when it comes to water conditions, so they are less likely to show signs of the wrong water. Because of this many people see them doing 'fine' or even 'great' and therefore convince themselves that the water is fine. Then when they die at only 4 years old from unknown causes, they 'know' it was not the water simply because they did not die outright because of it. I think the most immediate pro to the proper water and diet is the colors. I have colors on my mbunas and peacocks that I have never seen on them before. I am sure some people out there could probably put mine to shame, but I haven't seen them, save for a few adults whose offspring are being sold on aquabid.