PDA

View Full Version : Betta buddies?

evilstench
03-04-2010, 11:54 PM
So a few weeks ago I bought a beta for my community tank. All the bettas a the LFS were with other fish so no problem I thought.

Wrong. After being quiet for a few days settling in he took to biting pieces out of the female dwarf gourami (2 fins and a feeler. Ouch)

So I said to my daughter that I was taking him straight back to the LFS, who said they would happily have him.

She said no so he now lives in the kitchen in a 16l/3.5gUK/4.25gUS that I had to go and buy.

Now that the tank is cycled what about a bit of company for him. He seemed ok with all in the community tank except the gourami. Would a few harlequin rasboras be OK?

souly
03-05-2010, 12:04 AM
In a 4.5 gallon tank, you should just leave him alone. You'll be overstocking it if you add anymore...I could only see you adding some snails in if he leaves them be.

rich311k
03-05-2010, 12:13 AM
I would just leave him by himself. He will be happy that way. You already know he is aggresive and that tank is not large.

SunSchein89
03-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Maybe a couple ghost shrimp? Not really much you can do with that size. You may want to consider adding more cover and reducing flow in certain areas if possible (more hiding places should do this as well). It could have just been stress or fights over territory. If you break up some territories by changing the aquascaping and give more hiding spots, the betta may do fine if you're willing to risk putting him back in.

The Curious
03-05-2010, 03:18 PM
I would try Red Cherry Shrimp if you wanna go the shrimp route. I had a betta with a couple ghost shrimp at one point. One day I walked into the room and the ghost shrimp were hiding under a piece of driftwood while the betta was desparately trying to escape. One of the ghost shrimp had the betta's tail in its pincher and was holding strong. I then took the 2 shrimp and fed them to my Oscars...hehe. I don't believe that RCS have the same pinchers that ghosts do...I can't remember for sure though.

Good luck.

evilstench
03-05-2010, 08:42 PM
The community tank is quite well planted and has a rock and several pieces of bogwood (Perhaps why the swordtail fry survive so well!).
When he was bullying the gouramis he seemed to be prepared to go the full length of the tank after them.
It's a shame because he looked great in there.

Perhaps an apple snail and a few red shrimps then?

The Curious
03-05-2010, 08:53 PM
I'd personally go with either the shrimp or the snail...honestly I'd just get a snail. Like rich311k said, bettas do fine on their own and 4.5 gallons is not much room.

annageckos
03-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Cherry shrimp and bettas do not mix. Cherry shrimp are smaller than ghost shrimp and some bettas eat ghosties. Cherries will become a snack quickly. Bettas do not need friends. In that size tank a couple of snails or some ghost shrimp would be it. The ghosties are cheap so if the betta snacks on them you could replace them every so often. Also, bettas should not be mixed with other fish in the labyrinth fish family. Bettas and gouramis are in this family. Some times it works, most of the time it doesn't.

Sorry, need to add. Apple snails are too big and messy for your tank. They also do best in cooler water. Nertite, ramshorns or some of the newer to the market trumpet type snails would work.

evilstench
03-05-2010, 11:20 PM
I'll have alook into the snail vs shrimp thing then. Thanks everyone for your input.

By the way I think he's ready for a little lady betta looking at the size of the bubble nest he's built tonight!

souly
03-06-2010, 02:26 AM
I wouldn't suggest sexing those bettas in a small tank...If you pull the female out ASAP.

annageckos
03-06-2010, 02:39 AM
I suggest you do a lot of research if you want to breed bettas. You can not house a male and female together, the male will kill the female after she lays all the eggs if she doesn't leave his territory. But if you have the time and the space, go for it.

evilstench
03-08-2010, 12:52 AM
No I wouldn't dream of trying to breed them.
I just thought that if he was able to make a nest he cant be that unhappy.

debbie51975
03-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Mine was the opposite. A while back it was a gourami chasing the betta! Traded out, now the betta lives happily with my other fish. The other gourami in there has been there few a couple years and never caused a ripple.