PDA

View Full Version : What next for my community tank?

evilstench
03-04-2010, 11:26 PM
I have a 165l/36 gall UK/43 gall US community tank which is quite well planted and has some bogwood.

It is occupied by

8 cardinal tetras
6 neon tetras
4 red wag swordtails (1m, 3f) with a few fry which will be removed
a pair of dwarf gourami
1 bristlenose pleco.

My question is what next, how much room is there for further expansion?

I would quite like an angel or dwarf chiclid of some kind. Is one or more better?

Will the harmony continue?

I could perhaps do with something that eats fry but not neons!

T Fades
03-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Generally speaking, since you have gourami's, then no angel or cichlid.

you are almost fully stocked, so maybe up the number of tetras or maybe get a school of dwarf cories.

Northernguy
03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
I would add more tetras if anything!thumbs2:

rich311k
03-04-2010, 11:51 PM
I think you could add a group of corys. You have room at the bottom. Somemore neons would be nice too.

SunSchein89
03-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Some otocinclus catfish would also be a nice addition to the bottom portion of the tank, I think. I agree with the cory cats as well. I have one orange and one white balloon molly in my community tank that do well together and look really good with the contrasting colors. Was just going to say a betta, but realized that was what your other post was about that I just replied to lol, so you can check out my answer about that one on there.

evilstench
03-05-2010, 11:42 PM
ottos seem to be quite like the bristtlenose. I love the bristtlenose he is active day and night and can eat cucumber quicker than I can!
He's quite funny when he gets all protective. The swordtails can't resist trying to muscle in on the cucumber. He stands so much then sends them packing.

The corys look quite interesting. They could add something different to the tank I think.
The only concern I have is that the articles I've looked at say that gravel may damage them. I have quite small gravel but that isn't sand. I wouldn't want tham hurt.

Any other ideas?

SunSchein89
03-06-2010, 06:08 AM
I have 3 cories in my tank with small gravel and they've all done fine. When I throw in an algae wafer they all go crazy along with my two balloon mollies and blind cave tetra. It's not sand, but they do just fine.

Check out a blind cave tetra as a possible new addition. Pretty interesting to have a fish with no eyes

Garrett
03-06-2010, 08:48 AM
The thing with gravel and cories isn't size so much as it's sharpness. If the gravel's rounded, without pointy bits, they'll be fine. As far as I know the size isn't quite as important.

evilstench
03-08-2010, 12:48 AM
After much reading and pondering the tank now has some new inmates.
I have added 5 peppered corys and a pair of blue rams, all of which seem to have settled in nicely.
The corys are really busylooking for scraps around the bottom. The bristtlenose is keeping his eye on them from his cucumber.
The rams seem to like it, they are exploring the hiding places and plants and seem to be eating.
The tank is now full I believe so time to sit back and enjoy.
Thanks for the help. The corys are great. I wouldn't have considered them.

VoidParadigm
03-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Good to hear. You should post pics if you can get ahold of a camera.

evilstench
03-17-2010, 11:46 PM
I just thought I would give a quick update on how the new fish settled in.

The corys are great. They are always busy routing in the gravel and have made a really good contribution to the balance of the tank.
Thanks for a great suggestion.

The pair of blue rams have settled in nicely. They get on with the gouramis very well. They did though produce a pile of eggs after a few days and chased any nosey fish away, but the territory was quite small so no problem. The eggs disappeared after 48 hours though.
They have now taken up peaceful wandering again.

wolf_eyes
03-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Congrats, when fish spawn that means they're happy fish. A lot of people have troubles with rams since the asian bed ones are less than hardy. It sounds like you have a good pair though. They aren't the greatest parents as far as cichlids go, so you may never have young unless you want to step in and raise some. A couple of people suggest adding another male into the tank when you have a pair so the male can guard his girl, but I'm not so sure on this method. It's kinda like throwing a fish in just so he can be bullied.

evilstench
03-19-2010, 11:46 PM
I dont think the tank is big enough for ram wars.

wolf_eyes
03-20-2010, 02:27 AM
Yea I agree, I don't like that method anyways because the one male will be beaten up. It's just something that a couple of breeders do. I think your stocking is great as is