PDA

View Full Version : Lucky me? Pregnant RCS

ldsdbomber
03-04-2010, 04:23 PM
I have a BiUbe Pure system and we just bought 3 RCS to go with a small group of neons and a pair of guppies, just noticed last night that one of the RCS has what looks like small brown round things inside its belly, that it often shakes around with its back legs, I think these are eggs!!!!! Is there anything special I need to do. My tank is a bit warm 25 degrees, so have knocked heater down to 23 though it will take a while to get there. Tank is cycled and planted with anubia, java fern, some java moss on bamboo sticks and a small amazon sword, all new enough not to be struggling just yet!!!!

How exciting!

korith
03-04-2010, 04:42 PM
I have a BiUbe Pure system and we just bought 3 RCS to go with a small group of neons and a pair of guppies, just noticed last night that one of the RCS has what looks like small brown round things inside its belly, that it often shakes around with its back legs, I think these are eggs!!!!! Is there anything special I need to do. My tank is a bit warm 25 degrees, so have knocked heater down to 23 though it will take a while to get there. Tank is cycled and planted with anubia, java fern, some java moss on bamboo sticks and a small amazon sword, all new enough not to be struggling just yet!!!!

How exciting!

Nothing you need to do. In about 3 weeks or so you'll start seeing shrimplets in the tank. Too many changes now can sometimes cause the berried shrimp (shrimp carrying the eggs) to drop its eggs.

rich311k
03-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Those are eggs.The babies fend well for themselves, the problem is that those tankmates will eat the babies as they will be tiny. If you want to make RCS you need a seperate tank for the shrimps.

ldsdbomber
03-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't really know what to do. On the one hand, shrimps are low bioload, correct, so is there anything I can do to keep the babies alive, it might be tricky to catch the mother now, but would it work in just a bowl of old tank water at room temp for a few days? Is it really unkind to let the fish just eat the little ones, is the mother shrimp going to defend them and freak out at the other fish?
I know I sound clueless right now.

korith
03-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I would just leave the shrimps where they are unless you are going to put them into another filtered tank. If you'd got some cover, some of the shrimplets should survive.

ldsdbomber
03-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Well here are a few pics of "Manny, Pedro and Ortiz" hanging out, as they do, on the moss ball!