PDA

View Full Version : Fancy losing scales?

Brhino
03-04-2010, 03:18 PM
One of my fancy goldfish appears to be missing a few scales... perhaps 4 or 5 in total. He's all white except for an orange spot on his head, and the areas that appear to missing scales have a dull offwhite look instead of a white shine like the rest of him. The thing is, the spots that are missing some to move around every few days. So, I'm wondering:

Is something bad going on? Is this a sign of ill health?
Do goldfish (and fish in general?) normally lose and replace scales on a regular basis? Is this normal?
Given that the spots seem to move around, could it be something else? A scale temporarily at a strange angle that gives it a different appearance or something?

I don't have any photos at this time, unfortunately. I might be able to get some in the future.

The other fancy does NOT appear to have any missing scales. However, he has a very lively coloration (primarily orange with a white band around his midsection and black splotches throughout), so I'm not sure the same phenomenon would be visible on him.

Northernguy
03-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Have you read the Stickies yet?
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=107
You should,you may find them very helpful!:22:

It sounds like the fish knocked off a few scales bumping into something.Pristine water is best for curing that.

Brhino
03-04-2010, 03:39 PM
I have read the stickies, I didn't notice anything about missing scales specifically. Perhaps I missed it.

Also, at first reading I thought you were informing me that my goldfish had a disease called "The stickies". :hmm3grin2orange:

VoidParadigm
03-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Unless they look red or raw don't worry too much about it. Many goldfish (males especially) will rub or bump against things and knock a few scales lose, and mature goldfish occasionally lose them scuffling for food or dominance.