PDA

View Full Version : Someones eating my plant!

cocoa_pleco
05-08-2007, 03:07 AM
CHRONA, HELP! In the 20g planted theres-

3 albino corys
2 baby angels
black shark
flying fox
skunk botia
5 ghost shrimp
1 platy
8 white clouds
1 mini tetra
betta
1 banded loach

One of my plants got ENTIRELY eaten, and it was the plant that was growing best. The plant was about 8 stems with tiny round leaves going up the stem.

Who's the culprit?

Drumachine09
05-08-2007, 03:10 AM
Well, from my experiance in plants (next to nothing) I think you are describing a brazillian pennywort. i have corys that dont eat them, so thats out.

Chrona
05-08-2007, 03:13 AM
CHRONA, HELP! In the 20g planted theres-

3 albino corys
2 baby angels
black shark
flying fox
skunk botia
5 ghost shrimp
1 platy
8 white clouds
1 mini tetra
betta
1 banded loach

One of my plants got ENTIRELY eaten, and it was the plant that was growing best. The plant was about 8 stems with tiny round leaves going up the stem.

Who's the culprit?

To be honest, I don't know anything about the majority of those fish and their plant eating habits. Since clown loaches mess around with plants, I'd say maybe one of the loaches? Random guess. Do you have any snails? What kind of plant was it?

cocoa_pleco
05-08-2007, 03:52 AM
no idea what kind of plant it is. The skunk botia is a strict bottom dweller, and he hides under driftwood, the banded loach eats 100% flakes and is a bottom dweller, the black shark just lightly cleans the odd leaf, never eats any, and there are extremely few snails, just 3 really tiny ones that hitched a ride on the plants. im stumped. The little leaves are 100% gone, and the thin stems of the plant are floating

Drumachine09
05-08-2007, 03:54 AM
Did the plant look like this?

http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_hleuco.php

Its brazilian pennywort.

cocoa_pleco
05-08-2007, 03:55 AM
meh, about 20% like that. This ones taller, and the leaves are half the size of a penny, and theres tons of the little leaves

Drumachine09
05-08-2007, 03:58 AM
meh, about 20% like that. This ones taller, and the leaves are half the size of a penny, and theres tons of the little leaves

Thats a picture of a mature plant

I have several small ones that have smaller leaves and they can get taller. I have heard them called the "stairstep plant" Because it grows like a set of stairs to the waters surface.

Chrona
05-08-2007, 04:00 AM
And this happened overnight?

Rue
05-08-2007, 05:26 AM
I deleted the fish I'm sure won't do in the plants...but I'm not sure about the remainder:

2 baby angels
black shark
flying fox
skunk botia
5 ghost shrimp
1 banded loach

cocoa_pleco
05-09-2007, 12:11 AM
it was overnight.

out of rues list, i have seen none of them in the act. Its really odd..

Drumachine09
05-09-2007, 12:23 AM
a PICTURE would help!

*nudge nudge wink wink*

jeffs99dime
05-09-2007, 02:25 AM
i tend to lean towards the loach too

cocoa_pleco
05-09-2007, 02:34 AM
Mr. loach is pretty evil then.

Since the damage is done, and hes leaving the other plants alone, no worries.

rbotto
05-11-2007, 02:54 PM
I too have a heavily planted aquarium, and some plants disappear rather quickly. I have a pair of clown loaches that are suspicious, and I had a bunch of swordtails in there that I caught chomping on the plants. After removing the swordtails, the plants recovered for a while, but then started disappearing again. I have a large pleco who likes broadleaf plants, like Amazon sword plants, but doesn't seem to bother the small leaf plants. Those swordtails sure liked them though. I noticed you had a platty???

I haven't found the other culprit in my tank, but I am experimenting.

Since your leaves vanished overnight, are you sure they just didn't fall off?