PDA

View Full Version : Seperating angelfish pairs

86vwgti8v
05-08-2007, 01:10 AM
I havn't been around here for a little but, I have a question for you guys and gals. Some of you may remember I had 6 angels in my 55 gallon, then I had 3 baby angles in my 30 gallon.
well I messed with the harmony in the tank and can no longer restore it. I moved 1 pair into the 30 and the babies into the 55.
So basically in my 55 I have 2 mated pair and 3 offspring. they fight constantly now.
I could care less if they ever lay eggs again. I have no desire to take on any more babies. Can I seperate the mated pairs. or do you think that would be stressfull on the fish.
And if I can seperate them, what if down the road I get more tanks can I reunite the pairs? You think they would take to each other again?
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/86vwgti8v/DSCN0554.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/86vwgti8v/layeggs1.jpg
pics of some of the said fish.

86vwgti8v
05-08-2007, 02:08 AM
I have put a divivder in the tank. The 2 yellow fish keep going after the marble fish. makes me upset because the 3 of them are my favorite and they can't get along.
Im thinkinf of putting all the males in the 55 (they are bigger)
and the females in the 30.
Is this a bad idea?

Lady Hobbs
05-08-2007, 09:29 AM
I have 9 angels and they're driving me nuts. I'm trying to keep males and females separated as I also don't want spawn. I have the same thing when it comes to aggression and have them scattered about in 4 tanks which is not what I wanted to do. This is why they tell us to get 6 juvies and when a pair is found, to get rid of the others or separate them.

The wild scalare I find more aggressive and those I have the most of. I've been moving out this aggressive male and that aggressive male but I think I'd be best to just move out the big female since it's her they all want to fight over. She is about my nicest one, tho, and gets along with everything. It's the males that have to go and even if the males share a tank there will be the constant alpha male after the others.

Life would be much simplier if they could be sexed when purchased. I don't plan to give up all 4 fish tanks to them and that's what I have so far.

86vwgti8v
05-08-2007, 04:44 PM
I have no desire to do away with any of my fish. The 6 I had purchased turned out to be 3 male and 3 female, and they all paired up.
I'm really not sure if I like the concept of putting all the males in 1 tank and the females in another, But what I have isn't working. The divider looks horable in my tank. I wnat the tank for decoration, relaxation and all the good stuff that supposed to go with it. I'm not getting any of that right now.
It looks bad and there is always tension in there. It's causing me stress, I can't imagine how the fish feel.

CAF
05-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Honestly the easiest thing to do, would to seperate all of the pairs into seperate tanks. Once mated they become quite agressive. Even if you seperate all of the pairs for a month and then put them back to together, all 3 pairs would reoform. (Possibly with other males/females, but they would pair up) I would recommend personally, if you are not interested in keeping the fry, sell off the fish as mated pairs to those people interested in breeding. Then get some smaller angels and start over again.

Even if you put all of the same sex into different tanks, the females would pair up with each other, with the dominant female acting as a male for the females.

86vwgti8v
05-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Its weird cause the mom and dad yellow pair are chasing their kids around.
I beleive I will just keep them divided for a liuttle bit. maybe look into getting another 30 or so gallon tank.
once the yellow pair are done laying eggs they will be cool, But this could last a while

86vwgti8v
05-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Last night the yellow pair layed about 200 eggs.
I relized that they only lay eggs on the taller bigger leaved plants.
When they are not in the tank, Its almost like they don't care about laying eggs. So, after this is all said and done I will remove said plants. Hopefully that will restore some peace.
They were never fully peacefull, but lately its kinda out of hand in there.
See what happens!!

Lady Hobbs
05-09-2007, 02:50 PM
I have no desire to do away with any of my fish. The 6 I had purchased turned out to be 3 male and 3 female, and they all paired up.
I'm really not sure if I like the concept of putting all the males in 1 tank and the females in another, But what I have isn't working. The divider looks horable in my tank. I wnat the tank for decoration, relaxation and all the good stuff that supposed to go with it. I'm not getting any of that right now.
It looks bad and there is always tension in there. It's causing me stress, I can't imagine how the fish feel.

The only solution really if you want all pairs is keep the divider in place or get more tanks. Even in a large tank, the one pair will keep the others all jammed to one end of the tank and there will constantly be fighting among them. Before they spawn they should be moved into a smaller tank to have their spawn then returned to the larger tank but with 3 pairs you do have a problem. I have one large angel that spends his life alone in a 30 gallon. He can't get along with anything.

PS.....I just noticed CAF's post and he/she is totally correct.