PDA

View Full Version : Planted 45 gallon community

Sandman
03-03-2010, 05:23 AM
Started cycling in late January with 6 Odessa Barbs and 6 Silvertip Tetras.
Cycle completed last week.
Added 4 Black Lyretail Mollies, 2 Horseface Loaches, 2 Red Crystal Shrimp and 1 Vampire Shrimp.

Lost one molly early this week. Plan to replace with 3 more mollies and 4 more silvertips to round out the schools.

http://home.comcast.net/~stubergstrom/pwpimages/Tank%20small.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~stubergstrom/pwpimages/Ornament%20small.jpg

kathymac
03-03-2010, 05:50 AM
Very nice tank.//

Sandman
03-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks, Kathy!

Update: Three lyretails added this afternoon and assimilating quite nicely!

Another interesting note is that up until a week ago, my water was testing very hard, and had a pH over 7.6 (past the range of the drip test). I realized a week ago that this was likely due to a stone ornament that came with the tank, since I finally tested my tap water and got a reading of 7.4. I took out the stone and replaced it with the wood in the picture, and the pH is already coming down (still saying 7.6, but the blue in the test tube is noticeably less intense.) The water is getting a nice tea color, also.

I also tweaked the water temperature from 78 degrees down to 76.

I think the color in the barbs is already improving with the lower pH and lower temperature. Unfortunately, the mollies prefer warmer, more alkaline water, but I think it is still within their range. Someone is going to have to suffer for my not planning ahead in terms of the preferred water conditions for the species I selected.

Sandman
03-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Had to share some fascinating behavior I just observed.

First off, I've learned a lesson that I need to feed before I do a water change. My odessas and mollies nip my hand to no end as I'm holding the hose in the tank to draw out water. It doesn't bother my hand, I just worry about the fish getting drawn up into the hose.

Just a few minutes ago, that fear was realized - one of my female odessas ended up tail-first in the end of the hose. I noticed right away and stopped the flow at the other end, and she swam off.

Unfortunately, I did notice some damage to her dorsal fin. I guess the other odessas noticed too, because all six are hiding behind the wood in the center of the tank (and doing a great job not being seen).

The fascinating part is that none of the mollies or tetras seem disturbed in the least. They are schooling more tightly than usual but I would expect that just from the stress of the w/c itself.

I fear the worst for the female who got trapped, but hopefully she and her schoolmates will relax and enjoy the fresh water soon enough.

I will be buying a longer hose today so I can have it further down in the tank without my hand attracting the fish to the intake.

Taurus
03-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Great looking tank Sandman. But go slow on the stocking additions. Your tank still has to mature for a while longer, even though it is cycled, before it will become stable. Give it time and the odessas will color up nicely for you.

DrNic
03-07-2010, 04:15 AM
Looks great! Nice job!!

EmmanuelJB
03-07-2010, 04:30 AM
Nice tank! I really like the back ground! When I fort looked at it quick I thought those were actually rocks in the tank lol!

Sandman
03-12-2010, 04:28 AM
Thanks a lot for the kind words! I really liked the background when I saw it in the store, it seemed to accentuate the beach feel I was going for.

Well, my fish have not heeded the slow additions warnings, and just a few minutes ago doing a 60% WC, I discovered a 1/2" Molly fry swimming along the surface! Keep in mind I've only had the mollies a week or two (added in two batches). I thought a couple looked fat, I guess I got some bonus fish! :19:

Right now the poor thing is stuck in a pint-sized measuring cup while I wash out an ancient 5 gal acrylic that he will get to himself. My plan is:

- Throw out old gravel
- Wash and rinse, x20 or so :ssmile:
- Fill out of the remaining 40% in the 45 gal
- Add some 45 gal canister media to the HOB-style filter on the 5 gal (it's an all-in-one unit so not really hanging at all)
- Float a couple cabombas to give him something to swim in (not really needed for cover)

I think the planting in the 45 gal would give him a fighting chance, but I want to give him even better. I can't wait to see if more appear!

Sandman
03-12-2010, 06:34 AM
The new fry tank (and my updated sig :22: )

http://home.comcast.net/~stubergstrom/pwpimages/0312000125.jpg