PDA

View Full Version : How do Guppy girls act before they have fry?

SkarloeysMom
05-07-2007, 10:45 PM
I have 4 female guppies all pg I think. I was wondering how they act just before they give birth and where I should be looking for these little fry babies.

CAF
05-07-2007, 11:02 PM
If there are males in the tank, or if there were in the tank you got them from then they are pregnant. Their bellies will square off just prior to popping. Other than that they act the same. Good luck!

SkarloeysMom
05-08-2007, 02:12 PM
She was hanging out in one spot yesterday for a long time and this morning there was a long clear looking stringy hanging off from the area I figure is where the fry come out. The stringy thing is came off and she also doesn't look pg anymore. (Dark gravid spot is gone.) She was swimming around and eating normally this morning but I don't see any fry anywhere. How big are fry on day 1? Could they have gotten sucked up by the filter intake?

There is one male and 4 females in the tank who I believe were all pg when I bought them a couple weeks ago.

Drumachine09
05-08-2007, 02:44 PM
The fry are very small. Check close to the gravel near spots of good cover, ie plants, caves, and other decor.

CAF
05-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Also if there is not much cover, the other fish in the tank WILL eat the fry. Also, yes it is possible that the back filter sucked them up. An easy way to tell is to pull the filter media out and see if any get flushed out into the tank. Generally, if you want fry to survive, pull the mom out and place her in a breeder. Once she pops pull her back out and then grow out the fry until they are large enough and strong enough to make it in the primary tank.

SkarloeysMom
05-08-2007, 10:08 PM
The fry are very small. Check close to the gravel near spots of good cover, ie plants, caves, and other decor.

When you say very small are you talking like 1/8" or 1/16" or something else? I've looked everywhere, even washed out the filter media into a bucket to see if I could find one and didn't see anything but then again I really don't know what size fry I'm looking for.

I only have 1 white cloud in with the 5 guppies. Could 1 small white cloud eat all the fry?

Drumachine09
05-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Mine were about 1/4" a couple weeks ago when i first noticed them.

SkarloeysMom
05-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Well I never found any fry but now that same female is laying on the bottom of the tank and while she will go up to feed she does not take any food. She is looking all sunken in her belly starting from the front a lot like the male that I'm pretty sure had TB. I think I'm losing all my fish one by one to TB.

Incredulous_Ed
05-11-2007, 03:25 AM
The fry were probablt eaten by all the guppies. They can consume them in a matter of minutes.

troy
06-08-2007, 06:57 PM
If you suspect your fish has TB you should remove it from the tank using gloves because I think it is transferable to humans.

ctruz1110
06-09-2007, 03:06 AM
well.. not sure if your fry was being eaten.. it might be hiding between your gravel if u have big gravel stone.. as for TB, last few days, i separated my "suspect to be" TB fish after i've read some article about that disease. it has been quite a long time she is hiding at one corner,not eating much (but still eating),sunken belly, frayed fin and fin rot . i'm not sure what's her problem.. i dont have any medicine for her.. just put some salt. if it's TB, so far, it did not affect my other fish..
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/Diseases.htm#Tuberculosis
said it cannot be cure.. so what can i do with my fish??? i wont destroy her..