PDA

View Full Version : Color Change?

rhonin
03-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Quick question as this is baffling me.....

A few months back I purchased two L200 Green Phantoms from my LFS.
They were advertised as Avacado Pleco's and were a dark green avacado color.

They went into seperate tanks.

One I have in my Mbuna tank and it is doing well, nice dark green, just like when I bought it.

The other went into my Peacock tank and there-in lies the question.
It is changing color, getting much yellower.
See current photo below...

Is this color change normal?
The diet has not changed....

Northernguy
03-02-2010, 05:50 PM
How long has it been in there?
Mine changed color like that when I first added it to the tank.It was from a stressful move.It did turn to healthy colors a day later.

rhonin
03-03-2010, 02:53 AM
Been in the tank going on 6 months or so....

The color change has been gradual.
I really started noticing after my latest business trip took me away from home for two weeks.

Came home and was really noticable.....

Food is predominately Tetra algea wafers with the twice weekly fresh slice of cucumber or zuchinni....

annageckos
03-03-2010, 02:57 AM
Very nice pleco. I won't worry about it, there is always going to be color variations in a species. Other things too can have an effect, like the color of the substrate and decor and mood of the fish. I find too, that plecos as a species shift colors easily.

Crispy
03-03-2010, 07:54 AM
I wouldn't worry about it either. Most of the larger ones I have seen lost their greenish tint and turn yellow. Mine has much more yellow now also.

VoidParadigm
03-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Unless he turned yellow overnight, you've got nothing to worry about. =)

Taurus
03-03-2010, 04:42 PM
I know BN Plecos can change their colors in seconds in order to blend in with the color of the substrate or a black background. It always amazes me when I see the transformation happen quickly like when they move from the back glass with a black background onto a lighter colored gravel.

Cliff
03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
That's' one beautiful looking pleco

Although I have never had a pleco change color like you guy did, but I have one was one solid color when I brought him home. When you look at him now, you can see he has some color variation on his body, kind of potadotted. That happened over about 2 to 3 months.