PDA

View Full Version : RCS and Aquatic Plant Fertilizer.

chrisb01
03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
I have Red Cherry Shrimp and just bought some live plants for the first time.

I don't know if adding some kind of Fertilizer would have an adverse effect on the Shrimp.

Does some one here have an answer for me on this?

I would greatly appreciate it.:help:

korith
03-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Check to see if there is any copper in the fertilizer. If there is then don't use it.
I have been regularly dosing my planted tanks with dry fertilizers a few times a week without any issues.

Hailey
03-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Yes, check for copper in the ingredients. Copper kills shrimp!

annageckos
03-03-2010, 03:02 AM
The trace amount of copper in the ferts will not harm the shrimp. I use ferts with copper and I have inverts. Copper is needed in small amounts for inverts to survive, like many other minerals. That is not saying that they aren't sensitive to copper, but they will be fine with the ferts.

rich311k
03-03-2010, 03:22 AM
Ferts will not hurt shrimp.

Wild Turkey
03-03-2010, 05:01 AM
This is a highly debated topic, so you are going to get varying opinions.

I personally opt not to dose liquid ferts that contain copper in my shrimp tanks with the mindset of "better safe than sorry". As far as which side or the argument is correct I personally cant say, and I dont think any can say definitely which is probably why its debated.

Sarkazmo
03-03-2010, 05:24 AM
The trace amount of copper in the ferts will not harm the shrimp. I use ferts with copper and I have inverts. Copper is needed in small amounts for inverts to survive, like many other minerals. That is not saying that they aren't sensitive to copper, but they will be fine with the ferts.

I agree with this 100% Just as we need iron to build our blood cells, shrimp NEED copper to build their blood cells. As we can get Iron poisoning and die, so can shrimp get copper poisoning. Copper comes in different forms though and the form that's in ferts is only toxic in much higher amounts. There's copper in the foods we feed to shrimp, the kind they need to take in to build their blood cells.

Sark