PDA

View Full Version : Dying

Ghostknife
03-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Simple question, maybe... How long do Siamese fighting fish live for?
I have had mine 2 weeks short of 2 years.... he ain't looking so hot now.
I thought he was dead just now, but can still see him breath.

Any ideas?

souly
03-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Most store bought bettas live 2 years and a little more. They can be kept longer if they have decent tanks. Some private breeds have longer living ones. Is your tank heated and such? That can increase the lifespans and they like it more. Whats he doing that makes him look dead? I once looked at my betta and he was swimming around, breathing fine. About an hour later I look over and he's gone.

Ghostknife
03-02-2010, 08:22 AM
I have a heater and filter and the works, the heater is off because it is still really warm. It is about 22 degrees here at the moment, and that is cause it is raining. I put him in with the weaker filter cause he was struggling to not get sucked against it.
When I say he looks dead, I mean he is curled up in the gravel and not moving. I eventually saw his gills moving so I can see straight away he is struggling.
I look after my fish, and promote bigger tanks for Bettas to my friends. I do all that I can to make them feel comfortable. I think it is just he is old now. I recall he was one of the bigger ones in the shop at the time, hence I got him.

Ghostknife
03-02-2010, 08:24 AM
That is him in my picture there. That is when he was in the 250ltr tank with a few neon tetras!

souly
03-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Yeah he is probally well over 2 years then. Probally just his time, Is he laying down the gravel on his side or just on the bottom of the tank?

Ghostknife
03-02-2010, 08:31 AM
On his side! He curls up a bit also!
I thought it might be his time! I hope he makes it to the 17th March though.. Saint Patricks Day you see.. i got him on the 16th, hence his name.. Paddy

souly
03-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Did you check him to see if he hand any visible sickness? Might be able to treat him. You could try adding some aquariuum salt anter changes and see if helps him...thats just if he's possibly sick. But i'm leaning towards the latter with it being his time. Hope everything goes well.

Ghostknife
03-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Cheers! I have checked his PH and Ammonia already, that is all fine, so too is the temp, so yeah, must be the end soon! Will let you know when good old Paddy passes on!