PDA

View Full Version : Planning a tank of angelfish?

Lady Hobbs
05-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Well, forget it! The longer I have angels, the more I refer to them as Hells Angels. They can be compared as trying to keep Jack Dempseys or several Oscars together.

The are so sweet as juvies but let them come into their prime and they no longer go well together.

The pictures we see of several angels happily swimming together is trick photographer!

cocoa_pleco
05-07-2007, 01:29 PM
lol, you make angels sound like little demons.

hungryhound
05-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Well, forget it! The longer I have angels, the more I refer to them as Hells Angels. They can be compared as trying to keep Jack Dempseys or several Oscars together.

The are so sweet as juvies but let them come into their prime and they no longer go well together.

The pictures we see of several angels happily swimming together is trick photographer!

Wait, don't say that. Your pictures have helped cement in my wifes head that she wants them, and to now dash her hopes for the future is just cruel.:ezpi_wink1:

Hopefully they settle down once your demonic 29 gallon stops acting up and you have to keep giving them tank mates they don't really care for.

Abbeys_Mom
05-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Cichlids certainly are fussy when it comes to numbers. I only kept Angels for a while, then I got sick of them trying to kill each other. Now that I understand cichlids better, I may try it some time in the future. When it comes to aggressive fish, keeping one or a pair is the only way to go in my opinion, unless your tank in huge. I took my years to find the right type of fish for me. Oscars are too big and fussy for me and guppies are too small and don't live long enough.

RobbieG
05-07-2007, 02:27 PM
I keep one large angel in my 72 - I don't put anything else in there that can't outrun him - he tries to chase the others once in a while but after about a foot the others are 9" ahead of him.

He had a tankmate a shile back that I had to trade away before they killed each other. They had come from the store together about the size of nickels - the were great together for a year or so - then forget it.

They are beatiful fish - but most of them do get mean

Lady Hobbs
05-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Wait, don't say that. Your pictures have helped cement in my wifes head that she wants them, and to now dash her hopes for the future is just cruel.:ezpi_wink1:

Hopefully they settle down once your demonic 29 gallon stops acting up and you have to keep giving them tank mates they don't really care for.

I want other fish as well and these darned angels are taking 4 tanks now. Constantly having to separate them as each gets a bit older and it doesn't take long for the aggression either. Six months. You have to buy about 6 of them, keep out whatever pair will form, and get rid of the others or start dividing them all into other tanks. But then you will have hundreds of babies to also get rid of and every other fish in that tank hubbled in a corner.

I wouldn't mind having maybe 3 females but you can't sex them so just have to wait for all the problems to start.

It's so funny right now as I have one Silver Dollar that sits facing her all day long. They just stare at each other. Another Dollar comes around and he chases them away. This Silver Dollar has claimed her for his own. LOL

My 29 gallon is up and running. I filled it 20 hours ago and no leaking so far.

crackatinny
05-08-2007, 11:11 PM
LOL, I named my 1st angel Sonny, after the founder of the hells angel Sonny Barger.

Drumachine09
05-09-2007, 12:28 AM
LOL, I named my 1st angel Sonny, after the founder of the hells angel Sonny Barger.

Lol, now thats a way to get creative! :thumb:

Chrona
05-09-2007, 01:02 AM
Heh, I guess in the end, it all boils down to the particular fish's temperament. If I remember correctly, I first joined the forum to ask about aggressive cardinal tetras and wouldn't stop chasing each other. I never did resolve that issue. RIP.

Drumachine09
05-09-2007, 02:27 AM
Heh, I guess in the end, it all boils down to the particular fish's temperament. If I remember correctly, I first joined the forum to ask about aggressive cardinal tetras and wouldn't stop chasing each other. I never did resolve that issue. RIP.

lol, that and the filter trick thing.

Lady Hobbs
05-09-2007, 04:32 PM
This was written to me by someone who has had angels for a long time . She wrote it better than I could so I will copy here what she had to say about angel tanks.

I've gone through the "unhappy fish" thing since I've started with Angels. It has been the cause of MTS. Because I could never keep more than ONE in a tank without LOTS of aggression. They just do best in pairs, that's about the bottom line. I've seen tanks in pictures with a whole herd of Angels in it, and it must of been superimposed photography, cause I KNOW they HAD to be lying. I set up a 60, put three Angels in it, now there is two ! A male and a female. But that's what I expected. Two, in another tank and yet two in another tank. So I feel set, that was my goal. A tank with a bunch of Angelfish in it, just isn't going to happen for long IMO. Usually when you see that, it's young adults someone is pairing up. After the pairing, it's best to just start putting pairs in their own tanks, if you want any peace and quiet. It's not alot different than keeping Jack Dempseys or Oscars IMO, except I think Angels are prettier. And that is what fools ya sometimes, thinking HOW could these beautiful fish be SOOOOO darn mean ???? They are CICHLIDS, that's how. No different than the rest. Don't give up, sell some if you have to, but keep a couple of pair, in a pair tank's to themselves. Angels are about the coolest fish to keep IMO. You'll just have to get over thinking they all make it as community fish. Some do, not really aggressive, MOST don't ! Once I gave up the fantasy of having a large group, and started keeping them in better circumstances (in pairs) it's been MUCH easier. They don't have really many demands, but groups for long term, are likely
not to happen.

Rue
05-09-2007, 10:51 PM
I suppose that's why my angels were so good...I always only had pairs...

2manyfish
05-11-2007, 05:45 PM
I've never been able to keep a group of angels together either...only pairs. I tried once in the 55g years ago. I put 6 adult angels in there at the same time (2 of the fish I already had and they were a mated pair). Within an hour all six of the fish had paired up and each pair wanted half the tank as their own. You do the math.

As far as the photos go, usually when they set the tank up they'll dump all the angels in at once and start shooting. Because the angels are all new to the tank and the activity outside the tank may be freaking them out, they will school oh-so-nicely together. Cool huh? It's kinda like the ads for small aquariums...I'm sure you've all seen them. The little aquarium comes in a nice box with a pic of like 20 goldfish in that teeny little tank.....very misleading.