PDA

View Full Version : compact fluorescent fixture

modster
05-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Where can i find one of those? I havent check my LFS, but i want to check online first so i have a general idea. Also, how hot can those lights get?

Chrona
05-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Not very hot. After 10 hours of running, it'd probably make a good napping spot for a cat.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2004+113345

Coralife Single's are probably the way to go most of the time.

If you have an enclosed hood (or can make one), these are MUCH better

http://www.ahsupply.com/index.html

modster
05-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the answer! But I was thinking about the ones with many smaller bulbs(like the ones you found in home depot). I am pretty i have seen those before, but don't know if they were DIY

Also what kind of reflector is the best?

Chrona
05-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the answer! But I was thinking about the ones with many smaller bulbs(like the ones you found in home depot). I am pretty i have seen those before, but don't know if they were DIY

Oh for those, you need to either buy or make a fixture that can hold incandescent bulbs, then buy the CF bulbs. Keep in mind the cf bulbs are REALLY inefficient when used like that because of all of the restrike, so figure 50-75% efficiency compared to straight flourescent/cf tubes, depending on what kind of reflectors you have.

Reflector depends on the shape of the bulb. For a straight tube, it's a parabolic one. For a u shaped CF bulb, it's more W shaped parabolic.

A340
05-07-2007, 06:56 PM
I have 3 10g tanks, all of which have incandescent bulb hoods. I threw the stock bulbs out and replaced them with bulbs that fit into the socket and are flourescent. They are built specificaly for aquariums and are available at most pet stores that I have seen. You can get standard white, but I opted for the one that has one tube white and the other tube actinic blue. They also come in different wattages. They are a bit on the pricey side, about $20 CDN, so that's $40 CDN for the 2 you need on a standard hood. I'm not sure the name of the company that produces them, I'll have to take a look and post it later.

Found them. They are made by Coralife and are called 50/50 compacts ...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/alizee340/e841024128a0430158fcf010_L.jpg

modster
05-07-2007, 10:09 PM
hmm... i just cant really decide on what to get now. I need lighting for a 90 gallon planted tank. I read Chrona's tutorial(great tutorial btw) and have decided on compact fluorescent. I also read the extra guide that Chrona has linked in his article. It was confusing I must say. Maybe I understood it wrong, but after some googling, seen like the guy mixed up lux and lumen. Also, isnt light per unit area hard to calculate since you have to take into account the efficiency of the reflector? Sigh, this thing is driving me nuts. I need med to high lighting. Can anyone recommend a tried-n-true bulb? Thank a bunch.

Chrona
05-07-2007, 10:15 PM
hmm... i just cant really decide on what to get now. I need lighting for a 90 gallon planted tank. I read Chrona's tutorial(great tutorial btw) and have decided on compact fluorescent. I also read the extra guide that Chrona has linked in his article. It was confusing I must say. Maybe I understood it wrong, but after some googling, seen like the guy mixed up lux and lumen. Also, isnt light per unit area hard to calculate since you have to take into account the efficiency of the reflector? Sigh, this thing is driving me nuts. I need med to high lighting. Can anyone recommend a tried-n-true bulb? Thank a bunch.

Does the 90g tank have an enclosed hood? (or are you able/willing to make/obtain one? - optional but having a hood means retrofit kits are the way to go, which are cheaper too) I can tell you right now that med-high lighting in a 90 ain't gonna be cheap, lol. And you'll need pressurized CO2 for sure.

A340
05-07-2007, 10:24 PM
90g? Sorry, my mistake, for some reason I had 10g in my head .... sorry ...:help:

modster
05-08-2007, 12:24 AM
90g? Sorry, my mistake, for some reason I had 10g in my head .... sorry ...:help:
no worry. i do have a 10g tank but its not planted thumbs2:

Chrona
05-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Excluding the hood thing, you are basically looking at:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13733&N=2004+113345

+

http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/

+ CO2 tank (say, 60 bucks)

(CO2 is not optional with med-high light, it's required)

modster
05-08-2007, 01:16 AM
ouch. i dont think i am ready to burn a hole on my wallet yet.

Chrona
05-08-2007, 01:18 AM
ouch. i dont think i am ready to burn a hole on my wallet yet.

Doing a high light planted 90g is quite an undertaking :) Better off either getting a smaller tank planted or going with a low light setup. Even with a low light setup, it'll set you back a hundred bucks or so for a fixture, heh.

cocoa_pleco
05-08-2007, 02:10 AM
20g planted's are nice. with a 90g, thats gonna leave your wallet a little light:ezpi_wink1:

modster
05-09-2007, 01:03 AM
umm... so what kind of light would i need for a low light set up?

Chrona
05-09-2007, 01:26 AM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9871&N=2004+113345

Would be approx low-medium lighting. (48" fixture)

Or for true low light, just use the standard tank lights, lol.