PDA

View Full Version : Hidden tigers

gary0815
02-28-2010, 05:59 PM
I have a 75 gal that has only been up for a month and only has 8 large tiger barbs. My other tank which is a 36 gallon and has odeesa barbs x5,rosy barbs(long finned) x4,neon rosys x4, Clown loach, and 4 baby redline sharks. The sharks which they are not they are barbs and the loaches are going into the 75. The 36 gal not one of these fish ever hide not even the clowns but the 8 tigers in the 75 only come out to eat they hide under a 4 foot long piece of driftwood do you think they might be sick. There are no spots on the fish the water test great 0 amm,0 nitrite, 10ppm of nitrate. I have 2 marineland 400 and one penquin 350 filters the tank is 79 degrees and instead of leaving a blank space in the filter i put 2 extra cartridges in each filter. Plants are just 6 moss balls that are huge and anacharis that they ate most of. sorry this was so long but if someone could suggest something to get these beautiful fish where i could see them and not hidding all the time. Thanks alot everyone here is always very helpful

annageckos
02-28-2010, 06:03 PM
I would up the tiger barb school. It is a good size tank and the more tiger barbs you have the less aggressive they will be towards other fish. Maybe get 10-15 tigers, it may help them relax and come out more too.

gary0815
02-28-2010, 06:14 PM
I really appreciate the responses you have answered both of my threads. But i'll try that will green tigers and albino school with these guys or does it have to be the original type. Two of them lock lips all the time and it kinda looks like there dancing with each other but the 2 that do this look kinda different they have very green sides not green enough that u cant see there stripes but still alot more then the others. I just did nt want to take up too much room with tigers so my soon to go in clown loaches have plenty of room

annageckos
02-28-2010, 06:18 PM
You can mix all the different color morphs of the tiger barbs without a problem. I would still up the school. They will not bother the clown loaches because the take up different areas of the tank, the loaches are a bottom dweller and the barbs are more in the middle. This is a 75 gallon, right? If so than a larger school like I listed already will not do much for your stocking.

Oscar_freak12321
02-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Clown loaches will also sometimes school with tiger barbs due to the stripes. The barbs might actually take them under their wing. However, even if they don't, up the school and you'll see more of your fish.

gary0815
02-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Yes on the 75 gallon ok i might go out to elmers and pick up some more tigers today then. Hopfully they will then come out and socialize it kinda looks like an empty tank. Its sitting next to me and out of 8 i see 2. (darn fish)

Oscar_freak12321
02-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Trust me, at least 2 or more tiger barbs, and you'll see AT LEAST a little bit more.

gary0815
02-28-2010, 06:35 PM
I have heard that before also i cant wait to see if they do school together i also heard that clowns will also school with some corydoras which will come down the road a bit i want to understock if anything. also on the other thread i mentioned maybe doing 10% every other day instead of the 25 or 30% weekly do you think this would be a good or bad thing i was told i could kill the bacteria by cleaning it to well and my wife seem to think i have ocd and im cleaning to much with the tank that is. (The car and house also)lol

Oscar_freak12321
02-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I'd just stick to 25 to 30 weekly. 10% daily would be cycling a lot of water in and out all of the time. And with tiger barbs, I would not understock, since they can be nippy if there are too little of them. Cories would not do well with nippy tankmates, so the more the merrier. :22: