PDA

View Full Version : Tigers and Roseline sharks/Red line torpedo barb

gary0815
02-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Hello, I'm just trying to figure out what will do ok with my 8 tiger barbs which were considered large from my lfs. they are in a 75 gal i purshased 4 roseline torpedo barbs also known as roseline sharks which are currently in a different tank. There will also be Clown Loaches in soon they are also with the redlines right now. Im aware of the size these fish will get but in comparison to the tigers the roselines are rather small and i dont want to lose 4 fish that i know i over paid for to end up tortured or killed. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

gary0815
02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
I was told by a lfs employee not to put these redlines in with tiger barbs but i just thought to ask here since the same guy said dont put corydoras with clown loaches and i know this to be untrue. I have already had 2 long finned rosys kill 2 baby tigers and i just dont want to go thru this again. Also everywhere you read about these redlines they say this is a schooling fish. But there is an article and video on the web that shows in the wild they are loners and only school as they are young. Since they do grow large and are expensive i just dont want to purshase more then needed to keep them happy.

annageckos
02-28-2010, 04:21 PM
If all these fish are going into the 75 they should be fine. I would make sure that the tiger barbs are in a large school, that will lessen the aggrission towards other fish. You redline barbs should also be in a larger school, six at least. They are schooling fish.

gary0815
02-28-2010, 04:37 PM
I will have to get 2 more roseline then thanks for the response. I also resd that the roselines like live plants but i dont want to spend a fortune on lights and i tried a low light plant which was Anacharis and the tigers destroyed it in 3 days

annageckos
02-28-2010, 04:44 PM
You do not need live plants, fake ones are fine.

gary0815
02-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Ok maybe ill just stick to fake ones for now at least till i figure out the fish first im kinda new to this and i just wanted all to be very happy so i thought plants would help along with the weekly 20% water changes i have been doing that my lfs said is way too often and once a month is fine. It just depends on who you talk to i guess

annageckos
02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I don't trust most LFS for info. Alot of the times they do not know what they are talking about and just make things up. Or they follow the advice of what the boss says, even if that person knows nothing. Weekly water changes are best, 30-50%.

Just a thought, if you follow thier once a month advice for water changes and your fish end up sick or dead, you are going to go to the store to buy meds or more fish, right. They are there to make money, remember that.

gary0815
02-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Ya very true its ashame that they would put the fish in danger to make a buc but thats business i guess. iwasnt going to not do it weekly anyhow the fish really enjoy it when it water change day. They all play in the water thats being poured into the tank and plus even though after a hard days work its hard to deal with it sometimes it kinda give you a sense of satisfaction to provide them with something you know they love i even thought about doing everyother day 10%