PDA

View Full Version : help me plan a 55 gallon tank

senorh
02-28-2010, 02:07 AM
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice, I am going to be setting up a 55 gallon tank after I finish my research. I want to have fancy gold fish. Is there a variety that is less prone to swim bladder problems. I had orandas in the past, and some of them got it? I plan on having 2 aquaclear 110/500 filters on it, a very thin layer of gravel and assorted fake plants.

thanks

Cliff
02-28-2010, 02:57 AM
I don't know a lot about goldfish, but I've heard a lot of comments here that goldfish product a lost of waste. I would suggest you carefully factor that in to your stocking plan.

Are you planning to complete a fishless cycle before you stock the tank?

annageckos
02-28-2010, 03:12 AM
I know of no variety that is less prone than others. One of the problems is that the fancies are inbred/over bred to get the desiered traits, but in doing that bad traits also become astablished. You can lessen the chances by feeding a healthy varied diet. I would stay away from flake food and go with something that sinks so that they do not gulp air. And feed lots of fresh greens and veggies.

xasuma
02-28-2010, 06:17 AM
Goldfish as said, are waste producers, but you ll have great filtratino, so dont worry about that.
Oranda goldfish are the only fish i ve seen with the bladder problem, i would suggest a black moor, red ruykin , and red eye bubble (my avatar pic) , and some fantail too maybe .
Black moore mihght have their temper tho, lol , for my experience at least.
I also have a feeder fish with them(comet), and he is really nice. (and it was cheap,lol)
Just try not to have them in different sizes, at least not too big of a difference.
Almost forgot ,also the red lionhead is a nice option.

The calico and the telescope im not sure, but i always see them weird lookking at the stores, like chasing each other, injured, so i havent try them, but who knnows.
ok. Good luck with your fishis! :22:

sunfishman
03-02-2010, 09:04 PM
if you want something a bit more active, bluegill sunfish are great. if you have any questions, ask me or Amazon, he knows alot about native fish

senorh
03-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the replies, i think I will get red and white rhukans