PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Fish and Betta?

The Curious
02-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Are Paradise fish compatible with Betta? I have a 10 gallon with some guppies and a betta and I was wandering if I could put a paradise fish in there as well. I have never had a paradise fish before, but the betta hasn't been aggressive at all with the guppies, and I thought it would be a nice cap-off for the tank.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy145/The_Curious/Tanks/0226101946-00.jpg
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy145/The_Curious/Tanks/0226101951-00.jpg
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy145/The_Curious/Tanks/0226101950-00.jpg

rich311k
02-27-2010, 03:13 PM
I do not think it would be a very good idea.

korith
02-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Probably not safe, though really only one way to find out. That moss wall looks interesting, is the plan for it to eventually grow out and cover the mesh?

The Curious
02-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Probably not safe, though really only one way to find out. That moss wall looks interesting, is the plan for it to eventually grow out and cover the mesh?

Yep...that's the plan. I've done this before with this moss, and when it grows out it looks awesome.

Well I just talked to my lfs guy and got a paradise fish, if there is any issue I'll take him back, but everything seems ok upon initial introduction.

annageckos
02-28-2010, 01:05 AM
Not a good idea. Paradise fish do get large and should be in a 20 long minimum. They have different temp requirments. Paradise fish need a lower temp, about 70-73F, while bettas need a higher temp, 76-80F. They also belong in the same family, so fighting is likely.

Spartanhockey89
03-01-2010, 08:47 PM
With the colorful fins and the fact that paradise fish look alot like bettas, IMO it'd be bad. Nice betta though, love the color mixture.

The Curious
03-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks...my girlfriend named him Calico.

Betta has been in the tank with the Paradise fish for a few days now and all seems well. I'll probrably take the Paraide back soon, based on them needing a larger tank, but as far as aggression issues are concerned there hasn't been any problem with mixing the 2 species. Sometimes the betta "bucks up", flaring out his gills at the Paradise, but if the Paradise gets close enough the betta flees. This only happens occasionally though, and that has been the most aggressive behavior I have seen.

The Paradise fish is a entertaining fish though...like I said...I've never kept them before now...I'll be sad to take him back.

Spartanhockey89
03-02-2010, 05:29 PM
You could always get a bigger tank....:18:

The Curious
03-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Hehe...Yeah that was the original thought...Already running 2 55s and this 10, I think if I try to get another my girl will make me pay the power bill by myself :doh: .

Still thinking about it though...it might just be upgrade time.:19:

Spartanhockey89
03-02-2010, 07:40 PM
take out the ten and add a 20 or 30. the power output would be about the same

The Curious
03-02-2010, 08:33 PM
take out the ten and add a 20 or 30. the power output would be about the same

Thats kinda what I've been thinking. I just gave my 30 gallon to my lil bro for xmas...what an idiot I am. :doh:

korith
03-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Thats kinda what I've been thinking. I just gave my 30 gallon to my lil bro for xmas...what an idiot I am. :doh:

Show up to the auction on sunday in duluth, chances are pretty good there will be some tanks on sale. A year ago I went there thinking I'd get a few bags of plants, I left with some plants, but also a few tanks to put them in:hmm3grin2orange:

WeedCali
03-03-2010, 01:41 AM
Not a good idea IMO. i might get one but i have a 36g so he'll have more space.

annageckos
03-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks...my girlfriend named him Calico.

Betta has been in the tank with the Paradise fish for a few days now and all seems well. I'll probrably take the Paraide back soon, based on them needing a larger tank, but as far as aggression issues are concerned there hasn't been any problem with mixing the 2 species.

The Paradise fish is a entertaining fish though...like I said...I've never kept them before now...I'll be sad to take him back.

You got lucky with the two getting along, but that could easily change as the fish settles. It is good you are going to return the fish since you do not have the proper set up. Remember, besides size they need a cooler temp too.

Wild Turkey
03-03-2010, 04:41 AM
You got lucky with the two getting along, but that could easily change as the fish settles. It is good you are going to return the fish since you do not have the proper set up. Remember, besides size they need a cooler temp too.

I agree, especially considering you introduced them in the opposite way thats recommend when trying the this kinda stuff (betta last)

The Curious
03-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Well I got rid of the paradise fish. There was never any aggression between the two, other than what I posted earlier. This was more of an experiment, to see how they got along together, than anything. I'll most likely get another paradise in the future...fun little guys.